Green Light

"you made a cake for my last week as Captain?" Zoe giggles, emerging from their bedroom to see Elle and Max holding little confetti launchers with a cake on the table.

"mommy, it didn't work" Max frowns, trying to get the confetti launcher to work.

"mine didn't either" Elle frowns, lifting it up to her face and squeezing it again to try and figure it out.

"hold on, love, it's facing the wrong-" Zoe starts but it's too late.

Elle squeezes it had enough for the confetti to launch, but into her face. 

"you okay?" Zoe laughs walking over to Elle. 

"yeah" Elle smiles, brushing the confetti away.

Finally, Max gets his to work and Zoe is now equally covered in confetti. Elle giggles, cupping Zoe's face in her hands and giving her a sweet kiss. 

Zoe smiles when they separate before leaning down to look at Max.

"you know what this means?" Zoe grins.

"what?" Max asks, bouncing up and down in excitement.

"it means cake for breakfast!" Zoe exclaims.

"oh no" Elle shakes her head, giggling.

"cake!" Max yells, running around the kitchen.

"you're the one who is going to apologize to his teacher" Elle smiles, turning to Zoe.

"can we have cake now?" Max asks.

"let's eat cake!" Zoe exclaims.

[Two Hours Later]

"damn, she made me feel bad" Zoe says as they get out of the car.

"I know, once I dropped Max off a minute late and the gaze was so bad that I cried a little in my car afterwards" Elle giggles.

"Remind me to never step on Mrs. Gibson's toes again" Zoe grins.

"are you excited for your last week?" Elle asks.

"well I'm leaving on one of the worst weeks of the year" Zoe comments.

"what week? is it another rookie test?" Elle inquires.

"no, it's a whole week of reversals, basically detectives go undercover and try to root out any bad cops who are on duty" Zoe explains.

"that feels a little dangerous" Elle frowns.

"it is, and I have to pretend like it's a good thing" Zoe nods. 

"well, once you get through this week, you'll take Max up to Disney land and not have to worry about cop duties for once" Elle smiles.

"I really wish you could come with us" Zoe comments.

"I don't get personal days" Elle reminds her. "and the twins are not at the age for travel yet"

"yeah, that's true" Zoe concedes.

"plus, I think Max will definitely appreciate some alone time with you" Elle says.

"I love how happy he's been lately" Zoe responds. "I hate how he resented you before, but seeing him happy now might be one of my favorite things in the world."

"what's your other favorite thing?" Elle asks.

"you" Zoe winks, making Elle blush.

[Thirty Minutes Later]

"Yo, I need a break. I can't believe we don't get a single vacation or personal day during our entire probationary year." Lucy complains.

"it's not the worst thing in the world" Elle murmurs.