Caught Stealing

{4843 words!!! I've never had a chapter that long, it's very exciting. The last three chapters of Altruism Part Four: Love will be released on Saturday night at 11:59 pm. The first two chapters of Altruism Part Five will be released by Monday}

"I think Max appreciated the gift I got him" Zoe says, victoriously waving a little thank you card that Max made.

Elle giggles. "it appears he did."

"don't act surprised, missy, I know you drew this" Zoe points to a poorly drawn portrait of Zoe on the card.

"okay, I'll admit, it was a poor attempt" Elle smiles.

"it's amazing, I'm gonna hang it on the fridge" Zoe grins.

"no, no, please don't do that" Elle protests, trying to block Zoe's path to the fridge. 

Zoe gives Elle a bear hug, to try and maneuver around her but Elle trips over one of Maxim's toys and they both fall to the ground, giggling. 

Zoe looks down at Elle, pecking her lips before scrambling up and putting the thank you card up on the fridge. Zoe grins down victoriously at Elle.

"that's cheating, you distracted me" Elle pouts, trying to hide her giggles as she gets up as well.

"you're just sad you lost" Zoe teases.

Elle opens her mouth to protest but Zoe kisses her and Elle relaxes into the kiss, cupping Zoe's face as Zoe kisses the living daylights out of her.

[Three Hours Later]

"Oh, no, Officer Nolan. You will be leading roll call this morning." Grey instructs as Elle sits down.

"Sir?" Nolan inquires, confused.

"I didn't stutter. Get up there." Grey orders.

The more senior officers playfully tease and jeer at him as he goes to stand behind the podium.

"What now?" Nolan asks.

"The clipboard." Grey instructs.

"Uh, "Memo to all divisions from the Chief of Police. Complaints about police officer entitlement have risen sharply during the last few months."" Nolan reads from the clipboard.

Grey raises his hand and Nolan turns to him "Sir?"

"Do you know what that means? Police officer entitlement?" Grey quizzes.

"I assume it has to do with unauthorized perks. Free food, things of that nature." Nolan replies.

"Officer Solokov, what is LAPD's policy on gratuities?" Grey asks turning to Elle.

"No officer shall receive any gratuity, gift, favor, or promise thereof, as it may result in, or be perceived as, payment in exchange for influence, bi-... b-i-a-s... base? no, bi-ass? no, um, bias, that's it, or direction of an investigation or enforcement of punishable offenses." Elle struggles, she knows the definition but she forgot how to pronounce 'bias'.

"Nicely done. Will you Chen, West, please join Officer Nolan up front?" Grey nods.

The rookies obey and stand next to Nolan.

"Have your training officers discussed this policy with you?" Grey inquires.

"Yes, sir." All of them say at once.

"And what was your takeaway?" Grey asks.

"Sir, if I may?" Lopez interrupts them from saying anything.

"Oh, sounds like a little CYA." Grey smirks.

"No, sir. My Boots and I walk the straight and narrow. But businesses like having cops around. A half-priced meal every once in a while is just community relations." Lopez explains.