Epilogue

The sun stood still in the sky, heating the life below it.  A pack of wolves move silently through the forest. They are hunting as one, moving as one. The kill will be quick and much needed. They stop. Something has caught their ears. A long howl, it sounds wolf-like but it is not. Slowly the wolves move on.

One house stands alone in the nature. It refuses to join society, and hides among the natural. It is welcome there and they do not mind it. It is not surrounded by trees completely, but is instead in an opening. In the long grass, two creatures move quickly and orderly. They are not one with nature, though they are wild. They run together to the top of a hill and stop. They sit down. Looking out over the landscape they both pinpoint the pack. One is four legged, with a black and white coat. It doesn’t speak the pack’s language but instead a more morphed version. It is merely a descendent of the ancient species. The other is a girl. She sits with it but her focus is on the pack. The dog stares at her waiting. This is what they had been waiting for.

Finally, the girl looks at the dog, and signals in some peculiar manner, that they are to leave. The dog jumps to its feet eagerly and releases a long howl of joy. The girl runs from the spot they had sat, the dog frolicking joyfully by her. Swooping down in one motion the girl grabs a stick and throws it. The dog shoots forwards jumping and grabbing the stick in its mouth.

Now the game begins, the two roll and play like two creatures of the same heritage. She brings out the wild in the dog and it brings out the wild in her. They play in front of the house, with no gates, no fences to keep them there.

In the house stands a man. He was watching as the girl returned from the hill. He had sighed when she had. He doesn’t need to call them back. They know when to return, they know why they do. They are all there by choice. The girl lies flat on the floor and glances at the man, a very human smile spread across her face. The dog lies with her and they relax.

 They are all happy.

They are all one.

They are a pack.