Chapter 13

I was so happy as the landbeast I sat in rolled towards a large nice looking house. It had a smooth coat of white over it and it’s top, Gail called it the roof, was red. I liked this house. Not because it was pretty but because around it there were fields, trees and plants for as far as I could see around it. Thanks to Gail, I had only waited two days to leave that hospital to get here. I could tell she cared about what I had told her. She let me see that she had listened to me, and it felt good to know that she had.

As soon as the landbeast stopped I swung the door open, having seen Holly and Gail do it, I knew exactly what to do. I think it surprised them, as they hadn’t told me how to do it. Walking away from the landbeast I let the smell of freshness fill my lungs. Gail and Holly got out a little less quickly than I did, but I was impatient to start exploring. I watched as they crept towards the house in what felt like a snails pace. In a bound I was at the door and eventually they joined me. A while earlier, when we were in the landbeast they had told me that before I could go explore I had to know where things were in my house and that I always had to be home before sunset. I would have told them that I haven’t been home for months now, but decided against it, seeming as they were being so nice to me I thought it would be unnecessarily cruel. They took me up some stairs and showed me my room. I was surprised; it was very colourful with a window that let me see outside! I was already happy with my room when they showed me where I would continue my work on learning twowalker tongue and playing all their games. This, too, had a window that showed a small river that passed behind the house. Instantly, I wanted to see this river. It reminded me of home and I wanted to go see it. But Gail still wanted to show me where her son would stay when he came tomorrow and where she and Holly were going to sleep. Also where the toilet was and that was just the upstairs part of the house.

Going back down the stairs they showed me where the kitchen, television room and dining room were. I was starting to become bored of all these twowalker things and wanted to be outside in the place that reminded me most of home. Then as I ran for the door and my way into the world that interested me more Holly called after me saying to make sure I remembered to be back before sundown.

Happily, I sped out into the world and shot into the trees until I knew I was out of sight of the twowalkers. Then I smelt the air, picking out where the river was and making my way for it. Eventually I came to it and could almost see the pups playing beside it. Looking at it, I saw it wasn’t nearly as clean as the river in my home. I dipped a paw into the water and felt that it was also warmer than the packs’ water. Smelling it I sensed it wasn’t a good idea to drink from it, although it was fairly refreshing so I presumed a swim to cool off would be all right. Eventually, I left the river and decided to go for a run before returning back to the house. The sky was threatening to go dark so I only had a brief run before being forced to head back.

When I returned, I found Holly waiting for me. I understood that she was anxious to see whether I would try to escape. I felt an itch of anger at her for her lack of trust, because unlike twowalkers, I kept my word. I stormed past her, without speaking a word, my body language and soft growl screaming hostility though. Finding my way to the kitchen I found no one, although the sweet scents of the before days met me on entry. Curiously, I searched for Gail and guessed that another place she could be was the dining room. Looking in the dining room I found it was empty. Now an itch of irritation struck me as I wondered where she could be. Dropping onto four legs I caught her scent easily and followed it keenly. It had been a while since I had had the chance to hunt something. I sensed that Holly had followed me into dining room, but could feel how little I cared. Scuffling up the stairs I smelt her scent lead to the toilet but that too was empty. Beginning to feel anxious about where she had gone I feared that a bear had followed my scent from outside. I caught myself and realized if there was a bear I would already have heard and smelt it.