Chapter 17

I couldn’t believe it. My twowalker father was Andy. Now I knew why I had felt so familiar with his name, and with mine. He had named me after the daughter he’d thought he’d lost, when all along I was right beneath his nose. Too bad twowalkers have bad sense of smell, a wolf would recognise its kin by scent alone.

Sadness swept through me, as I lay limp in Andy’s arms. I missed the mother I had never known. Like any in the pack I mourned for the lost member, but this would be the only mourning, like a wolf I mustn’t be stuck in the past or the present may just forget us. Now that I was among twowalkers food and predators were less of a threat. I knew that there was more to releasing the dead than just survival. The wolves believed that we would be trapping the wolves from entering paradise by mourning them always. That is why we release it all at once, my embrace with Andy, was this mourning period.

This period would not last though. Whilst I could sense Gail and Holly were happy for me, I also heard a voice raised from outside my room, a voice I should hope never to hear again. The large life behind the voice was quick to burst through the door, and interrupt the mourning and my grasp of Andy.  I watched as he turned to face the threat, his whole body screaming protectiveness over me.

‘I hope you aren’t planning on just waltzing in here and taking MY property!’ exclaimed Mr. Davis.

‘She doesn’t BELONG to anybody! She’s a human being! She’s my daughter! I’m not about to lose her again!’ said Andy.

‘It’s your fault you lost her in the first place, NOW she’s mine!’

I could feel that hurt Andy, I didn’t like that at all. A low growl erupted in my throat; I could see myself lurching for his neck. I could feel the satisfaction as his cruel blood poured into my mouth. The next move however wasn’t mine.

‘Why don’t you leave them alone!’ yelled Holly jumping up.

‘BECAUSE she’s mine!’ he exclaimed furiously, his previous frontier had since fallen, I could see I had pushed him to his limits and he had cracked.

‘Haven’t you been listening! Andy’s her father! She’s not yours! He has guardianship!’ she replied furiously.

I could sense that fury had completely enveloped him now ‘Did you buy her?’ The more he spoke of me as his, the angrier both Andy and I became. He seemed not to listen to what the others said, he seemed trapped in denial, and wished to trap me because of his power was not so large. ‘I don’t think so! I spent a lot of money on that little-‘

‘THAT’S ENOUGH!’ shouted Gail rising furiously from where she had been, her outburst caught me unprepared, ‘Mr. Davis, you are, quite frankly, being a complete idiot. She has no more ties with you. You are acting like a child and with a legal guardian who wishes to release his daughter from our ‘help’ I’m afraid your case, is completely non-existent. Now leave, before I have security escort you.’

Mr. Davis seemed as though he had been hit by the brick wall of my freedom. Gail surprised them all, and Mr. Davis finally saw he was neither powerful enough nor rich enough to beat the law. At a click of her finger, Gail summoned the security outside to the door. Mr. Davis saw as the security entered and seemed to accept his defeat. We had won! I would be free!

‘Is there a problem Ma’am?’ they asked.

I was surprised how ready she was but also very happy.

‘I don’t know…’ she turned to him. ‘Is there a problem Mr. Davis?’ 

He proceeded to straighten his suit, ‘No, no problem.’ He shot a final glance back at me ‘I was just leaving actually.’

Mr. Davis left silently and swiftly. Holly was celebrating Gail’s final accomplishment of standing up to him. Andy had turned to face me.

He hugged me again; this time it was his turn to whisper. ‘You’ll never see him again, I promise.’

I hugged him back reassuringly ‘I believe you.’