Chapter 2

'We're just over the mountains now, we’ll arrive in a few minutes.' said the pilot to the two men in the back of the helicopter.

'Remind me again, why do we need this?' said one man raising the tranquilizer gun.

'Apparently she might run. In that case well, we've got that,' replied the other.

'Shouldn’t she want us to get her?' asked the man with the tranquilizer gun.

'Look, Andy, she's a "feral" child. If she knew about civilization, you really think she'd choose a pack of wolves?' said the man pointedly.

'Guess not...' said Andy somewhat unconvinced 'but John, how'd you think she got up there?'

'C’mon Andy that's the shrink’s job. We just got to get the kid then bring her from A to B,' said John.

'Sorry to interrupt you ladies but I think I spot our wolf,' interrupted the pilot.

Anxiously, the two men looked out of the helicopter spotting the girl instantly. The sight shocked them, especially when the girl stood and ran from the helicopter at incredible speeds.

'Christ!' exclaimed Andy surprised.

'Stay with her Tom!' John shouted to the pilot

'Right!' Tom replied.

'Stop! We are here to help!' shouted John in an attempt to slow the girl, though soon enough he realized she didn't understand and was not about to stop. 

'Andy, get the gun!' he ordered.

'But...' replied Andy reluctant to use the tranquilizer gun on the girl.

'Andy, does she look like she's about to stop?' shouted John, 'Get the gun ready!'

Unable to argue, Andy loaded the gun with enough tranquilizer power to take down a grown wolf. Hanging out of the helicopter he aimed the gun at the girl, struggling to get a shot as she kept zigzagging. Even above the roaring of the helicopter he could hear her howling, and the sound unsettled him. A reply of multiple wolf howls that came from close-by let him know they'd have to act quickly.

'Andy, for Christ's sake, take the shot!' shouted John just as the girl passed in front of the gun’s vision. Instinctively, Andy's finger pulled the trigger and the tranquilizer shot straight into the girl’s shoulder.

'Nice shot!' exclaimed John, surprised.

Andy watched in shock as the girl continued to move, soon she was crawling along the floor, howls of fear and panic erupted from her, but he could hear them steadily become weaker and weaker. The sound of the girl’s cries stirred something in Andy and as the helicopter hovered above her he could faintly hear a deep growl coming from her. He knew this was a mistake but quickly pushed the thought to the back of his mind, concentrating instead on picking her up. He could feel her pull away from his touch and he struggled with doubt at taking her. John, however, seemed unaffected as he pulled her into the helicopter, quickly shutting the door behind Andy. They sat across from the girl and Andy watched sadly as she curled up into a ball crying desperately for the wolves who were gathering below them.

'Tom, get us out of here!' said John, also noticing the gathering wolves below.

Andy watched as the girl squirmed to look out of the window calling desperately for the wolves. Her calls were weak now but the calls of the pack below were equally unsettling. He soon saw that she'd noticed his gaze and he thought he could hear a weak-growling coming from her. Finally she stopped growling and Andy knew she had fallen asleep. The howls below, however, continued until the helicopter was so far away it was barely a sound at all. But Andy knew that the howling was still going on, he could feel it. They soon escaped from the Canadian mountains and headed towards lake Superior.