Chapter 16

They gave Shilo a day to heal before revealing the reason behind Andy’s mystery appearance. She lay in the clean bed with new bandages and a steady urge of curiosity about Andy. He had promised to explain his sudden appearance but Shilo was really just happy that he had come back. She lay in the hospital bed and was surprised at how much more homely this room was compared to her old one. This had colours and animals on the walls and a large window that let in light and invited the world into the room. Shilo preferred this room.

Outside sat Andy, unsure of how to approach Shilo about what he needed to say. He had thought about it a lot, but now he was uncertain that she would understand. Beside him was Holly and Gail, both entwined in Shilo’s curiosity. They however knew why Andy was there, but they still didn’t know what had happened to Shilo.

Finally Andy stood and made his way into Shilo’s room, a look of pure determination on his face. Gail and Holly  followed quickly behind him. Andy moved to Shilo’s bed and sat down taking her hands in his. Shilo’s large hazel eyes were fixed on him. He however was avoiding her gaze, as though it made what he was about to tell her all the more painful.

‘Shi…’ Shilo gasped, no one had called her that for a long time, but her whole being recognised some kind of maternity in it. ‘The reason I am here is because… Shi… I’m your father.’

Surprise and confusion hit Shilo like a brick wall. ‘What…?’

‘It’s true… I had a test taken and it was positive, but I knew before then! I knew you were mine ever since I saw you in that park… you looked so much like Annie… your mother.’

‘Mother? Where is she?’ Shilo’s mind raced with questions,

‘She’s… not here anymore’

Shilo looked at him confused, but one question pressed her mind more than any other ‘Why did you leave me?’

‘We didn’t! I mean… Annie never did. We never meant to lose you…’ Andy’s voice trailed off once more as he struggled with what he would inevitably say.

‘What do you mean?’ Shilo asked

‘Annie died… the same year you disappeared…’

She looked at him, a sick feeling gripping her stomach ‘What…’

‘You were five. We were taking you hiking, it was your mothers favourite hobby… the path was supposed to be safe… nothing should have gone wrong!’

‘What happened!?’

‘We were hiking on a path… it wasn’t so narrow and they told us it was safe… you were walking near to the edge… it dropped down pretty violently into a gorge… I should have known it wasn’t safe …’

‘What happened?’ shouted Shilo

 Gail and Holly were on the edge of their seats; they hung on Andy’s words, each of which left his mouth unwillingly.

‘The path… gave way beneath you. You fell and Annie reached for you… she grabbed you but…’

‘But..?’

His words were mere whispers now, ‘she lost her balance. She fell with you… that was the last time I saw you, she was hugging you in front of her… Shi, she broke your fall. She died… to save you.’

 He looked at her; her resemblance to her mother was striking. Shilo watched him as tears rolled down his face. She wasn’t sure what to make of what he had just told her. It was equally difficult for him to adjust to seeing the child he had been sure had died.

‘We searched everywhere… when we found where you had landed… you were nowhere to be seen. Annie had died on impact. They thought you died… that the wolves had come and taken your corpse. I didn’t want to believe it… why do you think I was the one working on the Canadian mountains rescues and helicopter missions? But after the days became weeks… the weeks to months and then years…’ he paused, remembering the pain that had never truly left ‘but then here you are… alive! I want to make up for those years; I want to keep you safe. No more tests, you’re no lab rat! Will you let me save you Shi? I may be late… but I’m here now. I’m here now.’

A silence followed as Shilo considered the saviour she had hoped for. The family she had thought abandoned her, the future she could have. Could she return to the wolves… she wished, but this was her chance to be with her true pack. If her fate was to live among twowalkers, she decided a life with her true pack was better than any life Mr. Davis would provide for her. Reaching forward she pulled Andy towards her into an embrace. They stayed glued to each other in silence for a while, Shilo adjusting to the feel of twowalker contact, Andy adjusting to the daughter he hadn’t held in years.

Gail and Holly watched the reunion silently. The explanation behind Shilo’s wildness satisfied yet saddened Gail. Holly was simply overjoyed that Shilo had finally been given an alternative choice, now her future truly was in her hands.

Shilo’s mind was made up. The two were still entwined, completely oblivious to the rest of the world. They truly didn’t care about Gail, Holly or Mr. Davis. They simply sat together hugging, releasing all confusion and emotion through tears and presence. 

Shilo squeezed her father closer to her, then whispered softly into his ear, ‘Save me’