Chapter 7

I didn’t like bed. I lay across from it hoping that its wounds would kill it. I kept growling just in case it still wanted to take my balance. It reminded me of the moss that would grow near the river. The pups would always love to sleep on it because it was much softer than the hard floors in the caves. Once I even brought it into the den for them to sleep on. But this wasn’t moss. It wasn’t the right colour and it was much softer. I didn’t like it. Why did Holly want me on bed? It wasn’t nice and I don’t like not knowing what it is. I wonder why twowalkers like bed, it doesn’t seem nice to me. I decide to rest my head on my paws, I never realised how tired I was but I didn’t want to sleep with bed there.

I hear the door click as it opens. Instantly I perk up looking to see who is coming but keep an eye on bed in case it tries to attack. I smell Holly’s scent before I see her and quickly bark to her that bed is dangerous and she should stay back. I don’t think she understands me as she enters anyway. I move to her quickly and block her from getting too close to bed. She said something about my name and bed and pushed me gently aside and went to examine bed. I whimpered slightly unsure why she wanted to look at bed. Then for some reason Holly sat on bed! I really didn’t know what this meant. Was she also mean like bed? Or was bed nice like her? Holly called my name but I didn’t really want to join her on bed. I was worried that if bed was nice it would be angry that I attacked it.

‘Shilo!’ exclaimed Holly sternly and making me feel like I was doing something wrong. I didn’t want to join her and until she said come I decided I wouldn’t. Saying my name didn’t tell me what she wanted and I wasn’t sure if she actually wanted me to go to bed.

‘Shilo!’ she shouted to me becoming frustrated. I didn’t understand what she wanted. I backed away whimpering in confusion. I didn’t understand why she was shouting at me.

‘Come!’ she exclaimed and I moved reluctantly towards her afraid she was going to punish me like alphas would if ignored. I kept my head low as I approached showing her submission to avoid angering her anymore.

‘Shilo...’ her voice was suddenly soft and I wasn’t sure why she changed her tone so quickly. I could feel anger coming from her but I knew it wasn’t for me.

She tapped bed and signalled that she wanted me to go on bed. Slowly I put one paw up, then the other, looking at bed cautiously, unsure whether it wanted to hurt me. Then I jumped up but stayed away from Holly hoping that she would leave. Twowalkers confused me and I just wanted to be home. I wanted to smell my alpha mother and father. I could hear their howls calling back to mine still in my head. I didn’t like this place and I didn’t like twowalkers. I wish I wasn’t so curious about them… I shouldn’t be nice to these creatures. I was always too nice to prey and danger. I didn’t understand why I shouldn’t but I was starting to think that these twowalkers were letting me know why.

‘Shilo…’ said Holly her voice sounded sad but I didn’t want to care. I kept my distance and stayed on Bed. Bed seemed nicer now, but I still didn’t like it.

I watched as Holly stood and repeated a word again and again. It sounded like ‘stay’. I think for twowalkers stay meant the opposite of come. Holly wanted me to stay on bed. I didn’t like bed and I didn’t want to stay on bed. I grunted understanding that I would stay on bed and she reached to pat me on the head but I dodged her. I wasn’t her pup and I wasn’t twowalker. I didn’t think that wolf pack would be happy if they knew I let twowalkers touch me. They would call me dog! We had seen twowalkers before with their fluffy prey and they always had dogs. Dogs were like us wolves, but they would listen to twowalkers and let twowalkers touch them. No honourable wolf would ever become a dog. I let myself become Andy and Holly’s dog. I shouldn’t have. Even if dogs seemed happy they were dogs and I am wolf. Wolves don’t get twowalker trust. Wolves get chased and shot with death stones. Wolves hated twowalkers and twowalkers hated wolves.

I watched as Holly left sadly, but didn’t jump from bed. Twowalkers like it when dogs do what they say. Twowalkers must like it when I do what they say. As soon as I was sure Holly was gone I looked at bed, then curled up like I would in the den and tried to sleep. But sleep didn’t come.

I didn’t like bed. It was too soft. I looked around to make sure no one was coming. Door was sneaky. It would make things appear from nowhere. I didn’t like Door. I didn’t like Bed. I did like Sponge. I did like Soap.

I jumped off of bed, looked around quickly then looked under bed. It was dark under bed. It reminded me of my den at moonlight. I liked under bed. I glanced around to make sure no one would make me go on bed. I hoped that maybe under bed no one would find me. Like how caves protected me from the bigger hunters, under bed might protect me from twowalkers.

I crouched and slid slowly under bed, growling a warning to it not to tell the twowalkers. I moved until I reached the wall at the back and curled up with my back to it. I kept my eyes forward at the opening of the underside of bed. I waited for a second to make sure no one had noticed me move from on top of bed. Then I stretched my tired muscles.

 I sniffed the clothes briefly, unsure whether I liked them. Then closed my eyes. Slowly I felt the dark depths of sleep grip me and wished that when I woke up I would be home, with my family and these twowalkers would be gone.