Chapter 4

‘Doctor Brooks?’ said a voice stirring the woman by the phone.

‘Yes, come in Holly,’ replied Doctor Brooks dropping, the picture of the girl she had been looking at.

‘When is the patient arriving?’ asked Holly impatiently.

‘She’ll be arriving in the afternoon, but we have much to prepare for’ said the Doctor signalling to the picture on her desk.

Holly moved eagerly towards the picture, picking it up only to falter slightly. ‘She’s…’

’15? We think so…’ explained Doctor Brooks moving towards the window in her office. ‘We’ll need more cleaning supplies, she’s more of a mess than we could have ever imagined.’

Holly looked at the picture, examining the wolves and the expression on the girl’s face. She noticed how the girl seemed happy, the wolves were no danger to her, she seemed well fed if not a tad skinny.

‘So… uh, which suits are funding this one?’ said Holly, disdain thick in her voice.

‘Holly,’ scolded Doctor Brooks, yet understanding her student’s distaste. ‘It’ll be Mr. Davis…’

Holly shot a glance to Doctor Brooks. ‘Seriously? You know what he’s like! Let me guess, he probably bought ownership of her.’

‘He did… but he won’t be like he usually is. He’s agreed that we’ll have full control of her treatment,’ said Doctor Brooks as though she was trying to convince herself.

‘Is he going to bring his suits with him?’ she asked the Doctor

‘Look, let’s concentrate instead on getting ready for her, we’ll deal with Davis when he gets here.’ Doctor Brooks placed a reassuring hand on Holly’s shoulder.

Holly was barely listening to her mentor and instead examined the picture of the girl. ‘So, what did you say we’d need?’

‘Gail, has she arrived yet?’ said a large burly man entering the psychiatry centre.

‘No, she hasn’t,’ replied Doctor Brooks, ‘Welcome to our centre Mr. Davis. I’m glad you decided to sponsor us in trying to help this girl.’

‘Cut the formalities,’ replied Mr Davis ‘ You’re here to fix her. You give me the results I want, and I give you what you need to get them.’

Holly squinted, her fist closing in anger at the man’s words. ‘Fix her? But wouldn’t that imply she was broken?’ she asked, stepping forward to join Gail’s side.

Mr. Davis glanced at the girl who seemed willing to oppose him. ‘I’m afraid I haven’t met your team Gail.’

There were two men, both suited, who entered swiftly, joining Mr. Davis. Holly stared at these new men flashing a ‘what’s this’ look to Gail.

 ‘It would seem that I haven’t met your team either,’ she replied looking at the men behind her sponsor.

‘Ah, of course, they are just here to make sure she acts appropriately for the press,’ he said shining his fake press smile. ‘This is Frederic and Kendricks.’

Holly looked at the men who each lowered their heads when their surnames were spoken. ‘I see your men don’t have first names.’

Once again Davis’ glare settled over Holly, her refusal to acknowledge his dominance, obviously irritating him.  Gail saw this and knew she would have to intervene. Whilst Holly could be very opinionated she was a great student and would definitely help her to teach their new patient how to act.