Chapter 37

Shehnaaz stood in front of her wardrobe in towels wrapped around her head and body as she went through her clothes to come up with a nice outfit for her date with Sidharth in the evening. She wanted to wear something good since he'd pick her up from her office but she didn't want to wear an outfit that might look too much for work at a Saturday. But she wanted Sidharth to think she could look good even in her work outfits as well.

"Sana jaldi kar, nashta tayyar hai!" She heard Madhu calling out for her.

"Haaye, kitna time ho gaya?" She worriedly looked at her wall clock and quickly grabbed the pink crop top she had been thinking about and paired it with black wide leg jeans.

"Aa gayi." She sat on the dining table while checking if she had her phone and charger along with her in the handbag.

"Aaj kyu baal dhoye? Kal hi toh sunday hai, late ho gayi na. Baal abhi bhi geele hain, la mai sukha du, tu nashta kar." Madhu asked her daughter, serving her parathas.

"Woh na Mummy, bade oily-greasy se ho gaye the. Acha nahi lagta, waha office me sari ladkiya badi tip-top tayyar ho kar aate hai." Shehnaaz replied, getting started with her breakfast while Madhu brought a towel and started drying her daughter's hair with it.

"Aaj tu jaldi aayegi na?" Madhu asked them.

"Um, nahi Mummy. Meeting hogi message aaya tha, kya hua?" Shehnaaz, biting her cheeks inside her mouth and wondering if her mother wanted to go somewhere.

"Nahi bas aisi, neeche 4th floor wali Mrs Waliya ne ghar me Sundar kaand ka path rakha hai. Mai waha jaungi." Madhu replied.

"Acha, ha thik hai na. Aap chale jana, mere pass chabi rahegi. Mujhe nahi aana waha." Shehnaaz replied, almost done with her breakfast.

"Chal thik hai. Woh puchti rehti hain na tere bare me, maine socha kabhi mila dungi." Madhu nodded, combing her daughter's hair.

"Ha, mil lungi phir kabhi." Shehnaaz shrugged, checking her whatsapp to find a text from Sheena.

The best friends were in their lives with work and personal stuff yet they managed to text each other often. They would at least video call each other weekly and sometimes talk for hours and sometimes cut it short because of work, such was life and the two weren't roommates anymore.

In the office, all Sidharth could think about was her upcoming date. Not that he was nervous but he had seen it coming. The way he had been around her, he knew someday they'd talk it out and maybe go out together. Because if not him, he knew she'd do the required talking and she did, didn't she? And what did he do, he had let most of it for her to choose. Not really a thing, he was proud to offer but it is what it is.

He wouldn't have initiated anything if Shehnaaz wouldn't have acted indifferent the other day. The fact that he sat next to someone and indulged with them in an over friendly banter affected her was somewhat nice to know. She clearly looked upset that night and it was at that moment, he realized that he couldn't be at peace when she was disturbed. If not her feelings, her friendship had really mattered to him and now that she was his girlfriend, he was slowly realizing that he needed to be vocal and expressive for her sake, she needed and deserved that assurance.

"Chal, I'll see you on Monday." He told Vardhan, picking up his laptop.

"Baith na, kahi jana hai tujhe?" Vardhan asked.

"Kaam hai." Sidharth nodded, walking out of his friend's cabin.

"Mira puch rahi thi, tu dinner wagera roz bahar khata hai kya? Chal ghar?" Vardhan offered.

"Nahi, manage ho jata hai. Shehnaaz ke yaha kha leta hu." Sidharth answered, taking off.

"Shehnaaz? Abey wo- wohi Delhi wali? Sidhar-" Vardhan asked once he felt like the name of the girl sounded a little too familiar but by then, his friend had left.

Rab Rakhaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें