Chapter 21 - Leadership

Start from the beginning

Olwen's mind blanked out for a few short minutes, secretly impressed that a young child had managed to make her speechless.

"Uh..." She calmed herself with an embarrassed smile before responding. "Alpha and Luna are titles, not names. The Alpha's name is Landon, so he would be Alpha Landon. The Luna is supposed to lead the pack alongside the Alpha, but only after a ceremony. Alpha Landon and I haven't gone through the ceremony yet, so just call me Olwen."

"But you're like a Luna." One of the other kids piped up. "You're nice to everyone, help people, and you read to us."

"Well...that's only part of what a Luna does." Olwen said. "Lunas help to protect the pack as much as an Alpha does. They need to know how to solve problems within the pack, and provide for the pack when trouble comes."

"But you know how to fight and settle any problem as well, I can vouch for that." A familiar voice rang out.

Olwen jumped in her seat as she looked up and saw Delta Cassidy leaning against the wall of the classroom and smirking at her.

"Delta Cassidy." Olwen stood up and bowed, as the rest of the children looked her way too and waved with happy smiles.

"Hello, Aunty Cass!" They chorused.

Aunty Cass...? Olwen thought to herself in surprise, seeing the Delta grin fondly at the children before turning her attention back to her.

"I just came to check on you, Olwen. It seems like you're managing things quite well. I'm impressed, the kids here can be very...energetic."

The kids giggle at this.

"Oh...well...thanks, Delta Cassidy."

"So Miss Olwen can fight?" One of the kids asked in curiosity.

Cassidy caught Olwen's eye and beamed from ear to ear with a mischievous grin.

"Oh, yes she can. She learnt how to fight before coming here, and she's gotten better."

She crouched down as if telling a secret to the children, who leaned in eagerly.

"I once saw her manage to win against Alpha Landon."

Gasps of surprise and admiration scattered through the children.

"Miss Olwen won against the Alpha?"

"She must be strong!"

"Mhm." Cassidy shot a rather embarrassed Olwen a wink. "She is quite something, it is why your Alpha likes her so much."

"Olwen, you say you're not Luna but you sound so much like you're one." Another child said with awe.

Olwen found herself flushing as Cassidy grinned and got back up.

"Well, I'd better get going. I promised Cael I'd get in some sparring with him. See you soon, Luna-"

She waved innocently at Olwen before leaving the flustered woman behind to field more and more questions from the children.

......

It had been quite the surprise for Alpha Landon to announce to the Moon River Pack that they would now host the annual function. While he wisely didn't give a lot of information as to why the Silver Arrow Pack wasn't hosting this year aside from their statement on the bulletin indicating they were unable to, most pack members only saw it as the confirmation they needed that the Wild's leading pack was running into some problems.

The Moon River Pack was busy preparing their territory for the visit of leaders from all the other packs in the Wilds, and there was a certain excitement and trepidation in the air.