Chapter 21

The midday Tulsa sun beat down on Natalie's back as she trudged up the worn steps of another aging apartment building. Her stomach, already swollen with early pregnancy, strained against the waistband of her too-tight jeans. It wasn't the most glamorous house-hunting outfit, but these days, comfort reigned supreme.

Six months ago, a place like this wouldn't have been a dream, it would have been her reality. Back then, she had Taylor, and a future as bright and hopeful as the Oklahoma sunrise. Then David, with his smooth talk and promises of forever, had swept her off her feet. Blinded by love, she'd left Taylor for him, only to be left high and dry when the positive pregnancy test came back. David, it turned out, wasn't quite the forever kind of guy.

This trek through upscale apartment buildings was a far cry from the house she'd shared with Taylor. But what little money she had could only stretch so far, especially with a little one on the way. A pang of guilt shot through her. Taylor. They hadn't spoken since the break-up, the silence a chasm between them. Natalie was truly alone.

With a sigh, she flagged down a passing cab and headed towards a more affordable part of town. The apartment buildings here were older, with their charm fading alongside the peeling paint. The next one wasn't much to look at, but desperation gnawed at her.

Suddenly, a loud thump from the adjoining wall startled her. Curiosity piqued, she tiptoed closer. More thumps followed, punctuated by the unmistakable sound of a hammer.

"Careful with that hammer, Taylor! You're going to knock the whole damn wall down!"

Natalie froze. Taylor? Here? Her heart hammered against her ribs.  The urge to barge through the wall and confront him – or maybe just see him – was overwhelming. But what good would it do?

Taking a deep breath, Natalie forced herself to retreat back into the dingy apartment.  Maybe this wasn't the place for her after all.  Maybe, just maybe, there was another apartment, another chance encounter waiting for her, one that didn't come with the ghosts of a past love.

Natalie's hand hovered over the doorknob, the urge to flee warring with a strange sense of magnetism pulling her towards the source of the voice. Just as she was about to twist the knob and escape, the apartment door next door swung open, revealing a tall figure backlit by the hallway light.

Her breath hitched. It was him. Taylor.

He looked different, broader in the shoulders, his hair slightly longer and tamed less meticulously than she remembered. He held a toolbox in one hand, a hammer dangling precariously from the other. He glanced down at the hammer with a muttered curse, then looked up, his gaze sweeping across the hallway.

"Seriously, Tay, you could have broken something," a familiar voice came from behind him.

Natalie's heart hammered a frantic rhythm against her ribs. Taylor's eyes, the same shade of warm hazel that had once captivated her, landed on her. A frown creased his brow as he studied the woman before him. Realization dawned slowly, a flicker of recognition replacing the initial confusion.

"Hey," he said, his voice a low rumble. "Is... is that you...Natalie?"

Panic threatened to consume her. Should she run? Should she explain, apologize, pour out the story of her regret and the unexpected pregnancy that had turned her life upside down?

A figure stepped out from behind Taylor, and she saw Isaac with an easy grin splitting his face. "Hey there, stranger! You look familiar."

It was Isaac, Taylor's older brother. Relief washed over Natalie, so sudden and intense it left her knees weak.

"Natalie?" Taylor repeated, taking a hesitant step forward. His gaze flickered between Natalie and Isaac, confusion clouding his expression.

Natalie forced a watery smile. "Hey, Taylor," she said, her voice barely a whisper. The weight of the past six months, the choices made, the consequences unfolding before her, threatened to pull her under. Here, in this dimly lit hallway, her past and present had collided. Now, she had to decide what, if anything, she would build from the wreckage.
——————————

When Kaitlyn gets to work, she is called into the principal's office for a meeting about her recent performance and behavior. Her once-exemplary teaching record has been marred by a noticeable decline in her attitude and demeanor in the classroom. The principal expresses concerns about Kaitlyn's interactions with students and colleagues, noting instances of impatience and inconsistency in her work. Kaitlyn feels a sinking feeling as she realizes the impact of her personal struggles on her professional life. The principal offers support and resources, including counseling services, to help Kaitlyn navigate through this challenging time. As she leaves the meeting, Kaitlyn reflects on the need to address her issues and regain her passion for teaching before it's too late.

After her meeting with the principal, Kaitlyn returned to her art studio classroom, feeling a mixture of anxiety and determination. She knew she needed to make changes to salvage her career and rediscover her passion for teaching art. Taking a deep breath, she greeted her students as they entered the colorful and vibrant space.

Throughout the morning, Kaitlyn made a conscious effort to engage with her students more positively. She encouraged creativity, praised their unique artistic expressions, and provided personalized guidance to help them explore different techniques and mediums. Despite the lingering weight of her recent struggles, witnessing her students' enthusiasm for art reminded Kaitlyn why she had chosen to become an art teacher in the first place.

During a painting session, Kaitlyn noticed one of her students, Emily, struggling with blending colors. Instead of moving on to the next task, Kaitlyn patiently sat beside Emily and demonstrated various blending techniques. Seeing Emily's confidence grow as she mastered the technique brought a sense of accomplishment and renewed purpose to Kaitlyn's day.

At lunchtime, Kaitlyn joined her fellow teachers in the staff room. Normally, she would have kept to herself, preoccupied with her thoughts. Today, however, she made an effort to engage in casual conversation, sharing insights about her art curriculum and discussing upcoming art projects. It felt good to reconnect with her colleagues and feel a sense of camaraderie.

As the afternoon unfolded, Kaitlyn's interactions with her students became more positive and encouraging. She praised their creativity, provided constructive feedback, and fostered a supportive and inclusive environment in her art studio. By the end of the school day, Kaitlyn felt a glimmer of hope that she could turn things around and reignite her love for teaching art.

After dismissal, Kaitlyn stayed behind to tidy up her art studio. As she rearranged the art supplies and displayed her students' artwork, she reflected on the challenges she faced and the progress she hoped to make. Tomorrow would be a new day, another opportunity to inspire her students and embrace the joy of teaching art. With renewed determination, Kaitlyn left the art studio, ready to continue her journey toward personal and professional growth as an art teacher.