Risking it all

CORDELIA POV

I shifted in the back of the limo and took a few deep breaths, tracing the zipper on my gold clutch to stay calm.

Lewis kept messaging but I ignored him now.  His chats were muted and Hector continued to document everything. After the cops gave us the all clear that things were calm I agreed to go to the Donor Dinner. This was something I looked forward to every single year. My Mom spearheaded the event back before I was born so it was also the first official public outing I attended as an almost 1 year old.

Our Nanny was there to help keep watch over me and they arranged a side office as a nursery of sorts with a pack and play as well as some toys. In the end it was a fun night for my parents and I was paraded out and cooed over with press photographs showing the Townsend family of three for the first time.

Those were some of my favorite photos from when I was a baby. The love in my Mom's eyes, how proud my Dad was to have such a pretty and strong baby girl... in one shot they are looking at one another with so much love while I doze off in my Dad's arms.

My parents were soulmates. Anyone that saw them together knew that was a fact. It was crystal clear in the soft glances and warm affection.

Tonight was different.

Tonight we know the risk we are making just by attending this event.

What a polar opposite from my very first Museum Donor Dinner. That evening was a celebration full of love. Tonight I feel like a sacrificial lamb.

The Resistance had a new threat published in the newspaper stating they will make their voices heard at any cost. As much as I showed confidence when speaking to my Dad and Aidan, Elliot knew just how terrified I was. Our local police department had FBI agents on the case and attending the event. Aidan worked alongside them so we were up to date on their intel, but I could not get rid of the pit in my stomach.

My dress fit like a glove with the ballistic vest underneath.  I had a dagger strapped to one thigh then another in my clutch as well as a stun gun while Elliot had a gun holstered under his jacket.  Wearing flats I was comfortable in helped, as well as all the research we did so both of us knew every single exit point through the museum facility.

Raya spent way longer on my hair than we expected but it looked incredible, beautifully woven braids twisted and pinned up through my waves with the length over one shoulder to show off the back of my dress. We even found a way to use a hair comb that was sharp enough to be a decent weapon. Elliot thought that was sick as fuck which gave me a boost of pride.

We had a car with our Go bags in it parked outside of the Museum so it would be easy to sneak out with one of the routes Aidan helped us map over the last couple of days. I know the space like the back of my hand and we intended to stay close to exits, as well. The Dinner itself was being held in a large gallery room but our table was on the outskirts near the stage. We did every single thing we could think of to make sure we were set up for success, no matter what the Resistance chooses to do.

Elliot and I were well rested, prepared, and alert.  He has been a constant source of comfort and relaxation since he began with us. I chugged a Red Bull in the kitchen before we headed out to the limo which started as a joke but ended up giving me a jolt of caffeine to outweigh some of my anxiety.

Our connection has only got better the last few days.

We became more in tune with one another. Aidan and Josh did some training with us on hand to hand combat in case either of us are in a position where someone tries to attack us. The goal would be to stay still and distract as long as possible, allowing The Resistance the attention they so desperately want while they had time to get close enough to help.