Chapter 20 - When Tears Fall...

So, it's my birthday today and I thought I surprise you all with the next chapter. 😘 

We are diving into an angsty arc today. So, for those who prefer to wait until the angst has passed:  The tension eases by Chapter 23 and is resolved by Chapter 24. 

Chapter warning: rape/non-con, kidnapping, violence.

***

Sometimes the pain is too great,

Too unbearable to endure.

And just as clouds can no longer hold their burden,

Tears fall when the heart shatters under this pain.

Yet, eventually, the tears dry up, and you feel lighter.

Magnus

Magnus jumped off the bench and ran back to the bunker with Alec following him closely. Worry and uncertainty about what might have happened made his heart race faster. He only knew one thing: the alarm indicated something bad.

The corridor was illuminated only by the red emergency lights. A handful of residents wandered through the hallway, and when they saw Alec and Magnus, they approached. Panic was evident on their faces.

"Captain, what's happening?" one of them asked with desperate concern in his voice. It was Joseph, one of the older residents of the settlement.

"I don't know yet," Alec replied, the tension in his voice was evident. Magnus looked at the worried faces around them. At that moment, an announcement came over the speakers.

"This is not a drill. All residents, please proceed to the lower levels. I repeat. This is not a drill. All residents, please proceed to the lower levels to the safe rooms," Maia's voice echoed through the speakers, each repetition emphasizing the seriousness of the situation.

"You heard it. Follow the instructions and go to the safe rooms," Alec ordered, his gaze scanning the hallway. Then he turned to Magnus.

"I'm going to Ops to find out what's going on," Alec said. "Find our pups and get them to safety."

Magnus nodded, but before he could take a step, Alec reached out, grabbing his arm. He pulled him into a tight embrace. Magnus gasped in surprise as Alec held him close. It was an unexpected, almost desperate gesture that made Magnus' heart race anew.

"We'll see each other later," Alec whispered, his voice filled with a mix of concern and longing. Then he let go of Magnus and ran toward Ops.

Magnus stood motionless for a second or two, somewhat puzzled and speechless over Alec's behaviour. His thoughts went back to the moment in the garden. He was certain they'd almost kissed. Magnus furrowed his brow. Had something changed between them?

He pushed those thoughts aside for later. Now was not the time for analysis. He had to ensure the safety of his children because whatever had triggered the alarm could pose a significant danger to them all.

Determined, Magnus turned and ran in the opposite direction toward the stairs leading to the lower levels of the bunker. Tessa and a Beta, whose name he didn't know, were at the stairs, urging residents to hurry. Those going downstairs had to pass by them.

"Tessa!" Magnus called, pushing through the growing crowd. "Have you seen Jarin and Cahya?"

The omega turned to him and shook her head. "Not yet," she replied with a serious tone.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

Tessa nodded, and Magnus cursed quietly. "I'm sure they'll be here any moment," Tessa tried to reassure him, but her words didn't have the desired effect.