Chapter 14 - The memories of love

Some memories fade

and slip into oblivion.

Others, however, are unforgettable.

They remain alive and warm your heart.

Alec - present

Alec turned the arrowhead in his hand, taken from the glass at Max's grave. John had barely exchanged a word with him all day, and while Alec knew that John distanced himself when dealing with difficult topics, it wasn't always easy for Alec to endure this distance. He hoped that John's typical cocoon phase wouldn't last too long this time.

Alec sighed deeply, wishing he could do something to make it easier for John, but he didn't know what. He would try to talk to him again tonight.

Footsteps interrupted his train of thought, and Alec looked up. It was Cahya.

"Hey," he greeted his daughter.

Cahya sat down beside him on the ground, wrapping her arms around her drawn-up legs. She remained silent, and Alec waited, hoping she would speak when ready.

After what felt like an eternity, she asked, "Who is that?"

Alec looked at his brother's gravestone.

"Max. He was my younger brother."

Cahya looked up at him.

"What happened to him?"

"He lost the battle against a forsaken."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

Alec smiled down at his daughter.

"What was he like?" she continued with genuine interest in her eyes.

"He was very helpful, smart, and loved to read. Often, he spent hours in the library", Alec answered.

Cahya raised her eyebrows.

"There's a library here?" she asked.

Alec nodded.

"Yes, we're fortunate that the builders of this bunker left us hundreds of books."

A longing look filled his daughter's eyes.

"Do you like reading?" he asked. Cahya nodded eagerly.

"I love books."

Alec smiled.

"I can show you where the library is."

A bright smile appeared on his daughter's face.

"When?"

"Maybe tomorrow?"

Cahya nodded.

"That should work, as long as Papa doesn't mind."

"I'll ask him."

She grinned up at him.

"Thank you."

A silence fell between them. Alec sensed Cahya had something else to say but waited for her to be ready to share it.

"Dad," Cahya resumed the conversation.

Alec's heart made a surprised, excited leap at the address, though he tried not to show it.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry for what I said to you yesterday. I don't hate you. That was really mean of me to say."

She looked at him, genuine remorse on her face. At the same time, uncertainty crept into her eyes, as if unsure if he would forgive her.

"Come here," he said, opening his arms in an inviting gesture. Relief replaced the uncertainty on her face as she moved closer. Alec wrapped an arm around her shoulders. They sat there for a while, not saying a word, until Cahya sighed deeply.