Chapter 4 - When things end, but memories remain

Memories are echoes of the past,

They keep us alive,

Yet, at the same time, they show us all that we have lost.

Alec - present

Alec strode into the heart of the bunker, known as the Operations Center or simply Ops, with determined steps. Two betas on watch greeted him with a synchronized "Good morning, Captain," making them sound like one person rather than two. Alec acknowledged them with a nod and returned the morning greeting. He then approached Maia, who sat before six monitors. The young alpha met his gaze with a look of disapproval at his early arrival at the Ops. Alec responded with an arched eyebrow while maintaining the confident composure he had developed over the past years, only receiving an unimpressed shake of the head from the young soldier.

"What brings you here so early, Captain?" she asked, shifting her attention back to the screens displaying the immediate area around the bunker. "Your duty doesn't start for another three hours," she mentioned.

"Good morning to you as well, Maia," Alec replied, his tone playfully tinged with offense. The alpha offered no further response; she simply extended a thermos in his direction.

"Coffee?" she inquired.

Alec rolled his eyes once more but conveyed his gratitude with a nod as he accepted the coffee pot. He retrieved a mug from the dish cart, then poured himself a serving of the pitch-black liquid. Settling into one of the vacant chairs, he took a sip of the caffeinated elixir, without which he doubted his ability to function during these early morning hours. The aroma of freshly roasted coffee beans wafted up to his nostrils, invigorating his weary spirit. Alec emitted a contented sigh as the coffee began to work its magic. His gaze then landed on the inscription written on his mug: "It's time to rise and face the day.

His heart clenched painfully as he read those words. He recognized that mug; it had been one of Magnus'. How could it be that it still existed? Hadn't he disposed of all the mugs back then, after the omega had left?

"Is there something wrong with the mug?" Maia inquired, her brow furrowing.

"What?" Alec blinked in confusion and raised his gaze.

"You've been staring at that mug for a good minute, as if it personally offended you."

"The mug ..." Alec swallowed hard. "It belonged to Magnus."

A sympathetic expression crossed Maia's face, and she softly uttered an "Oh."

Alec placed the partially empty mug on the desk.

"What's the situation outside?" he asked before Maia could delve further into the subject.

Maia gave him a look he couldn't quite decipher, or perhaps, didn't want to interpret. Thankfully, she didn't comment on his change of topic and responded: "All is quiet, Captain. No signs of anything unusual."

Alec felt relieved to hear that. A peaceful night was always welcome. Yet, he couldn't shake his unease, despite the positive report. The prolonged quietness of the past few weeks felt eerily similar to the calm before a major storm.

"I'm still going to make a round and check the fence," he said.

"Okay, I'll tell Jace ...," Maia began, but Alec interrupted her.

"No, I'll go alone," he asserted in a tone that allowed no debate. Maia, however, remained unimpressed.

"But that goes against the rules, Alec."