Chapter 1: Nobody Wants to Be Lonely

Have you ever wished you lived a different life?

Have you ever watched one of those life swapping films - you know, the one where the protagonist gets catapulted into a totally different life, one that he or she would have lived if only they made a different decision at some point?

If you looked at my life from the outside, you would probably think I am crazy for even suggesting this. For wanting to live a different life.

But I often wonder sometimes how easy my life would be if only I were a human.

My name is Stephano Cortez, I am 28 years old and I am a werewolf. Yeah, I was born this way. All of us were, in fact, there is no turning anybody into one of us.

The only thing you would get out of a werewolf bite is death. Not that this fact made me enjoy 'Teen Wolf' any less. I loved that show.

We also don't have to shift under the full moon, unless we want to. It is a powerful call when the moon is at its peak, but you won't have to worry about finding an alley to shift into a wolf unless you are into that. In that case, I suggest planning ahead.

Evolution gave us all the tools necessary for us to blend in with humans, hidden in plain sight. We are your doctors, lawyers, shop clerks, reporters, and of course veterinarians.

There are no visible markings that differentiate us from humans and if you see one of us, chances are we are not alone.

Wolves are pack animals. We thrive in the collective. The more the merrier. Though every rule has an exception: we call them rogues, werewolves living outside of the pack system, answering to no one but without any protection the pack affords us.

Honestly, as hard as my personal situation seems at times, I would never make it on my own. I need my pack, my family. I would not have survived the last decade without them, that is the honest truth.

It's funny, when you look at my life, you would not think I'd struggle as much as I actually do.

I am the son of Simon Cortez and Olivia Pullman, a loving couple who raised their family with love and acceptance. My dad was a second generation Beta of the pack. He was the Alpha's best friend. As a matter of fact, my mom is best friends with the former Luna of the pack, Elliott Lockwood.

It's very rare for two best friends to get mated to two best friends. But it meant our two families were very close. Felix Hollingsworth, the former Alpha, is my godfather. My dad is godfather to his son.

Being raised under a queer Alpha and Luna, I never had to fear coming out to my parents. In fact, when I came out as gay they threw me a party. Yes, a coming out party. They even played Diana Ross' song and everything. It was then that I learned that my dad is bisexual.

In fact, before they were mated, my dad dated Luna Elliott. And Alpha Felix was 'straight' before he was paired with his male mate. Their lives are an epic tale of drama and romance, but my teenage life had just one problem: my parents were too involved in it.

They encouraged me to refrain from keeping secrets and be as open with them as possible. I will say it was refreshing to be raised without fear of judgment on their part. No matter what I did, they were there for me. I really appreciate my parents.

Because my mother went to college after high school, my parents decided to hold off on having any babies until mom finished her degree. The plan was for the Alpha couple to do the same so their children could be raised together, but life happened.

Luna Elliott was struck by heat, so low and behold a new Alpha was born.

Typically, Alphas and Betas are the same age. They become best friends during childhood and ascend together when they turn 18. That is the way things always worked for hundreds of years.