XIV

P A S T  T I M E

"Are you serious, Del? A pet? Just because I pamper you doesn't mean I'll allow you to have a pet, okay?"

Delilah pursed her lips, holding her hands behind her back as she gazed at the floor blankly.

There was nothing beautiful except for the white and red designed Persian mattress and the feet of her father. The neatness of the floor reflected the gorgeousness of the chandelier hanging on the ceiling.

But her mind was on her father's words.

She wanted him to keep the pup she found this evening but Judas wasn't allowing her to.

Delilah knew she couldn't lie to her father and the thought of hiding the pup in her room was a far-fetched one.

The healthy relationship between her and her father never allowed her to take advantage of her father's love so she directly went to show her father the puppy she found on the way back home.

She came home and bathed the puppy carefully. After the little life was cleansed from dirt, she could see how weak and thin it was. Its fur was healthy yet the pup's flesh was shrinking and sticking to its bones. She could see it wasn't well fed and she was sorry for it.

After she served the pup anything appropriate for it to eat because she had no dog food, she went to get back the cupcakes she left with her father's boss and now she was standing in front of her father, wanting him to allow her to keep the pup while it was still feeding onto its food silently beside her feet.

"We're not keeping this pup here," he declared the next moment, earning himself a pout from her.

"Why can't we, Dad?" She looked up, into his eyes. "Just look at the pup. It's so weak and cute. I can't leave it outside."

"You shouldn't have brought it here in the first place, Del. Who are you to collect such pups and keep 'em with you? You won't even be able to keep it with you for long."

"I promise, Dad, I will!" She quickly uttered. "I will take care of everything!"

"Even the poop?"

She fell shut, realizing it was real. Before deciding to keep the pup, she knew she had to take care of its food and clothes but she never gave a single thought about its cleanliness.

She forgot dogs defecate!

"Your silence is your answer," he murmured, shaking his head.

"I didn't even think of it, Dad," she couldn't hide the surprise in her voice. "But I'll teach it manners! I wouldn't have to clean it but I'll teach—"

"Gosh, Del! Just feed this pup and go back to drop it from where you grabbed it, okay? We're not keeping this pup and it's final! I can't bear the way this pup can ruin my house!"

She sighed, chewing her bottom lip.

She knew her father would not allow her for the pup. She had it in her mind so there was another alternative, too.

"Okay, I'll drop the pup from where I took it but I wanna feed it every day. You won't stop me from doing that, right?"

Judas decided to think before answering her.

He was glad that his daughter was obedient. She agreed to him without making him yell at her. She wasn't someone to take advantage of his love and affection towards her.

Just one thing she asked; to feed the puppy.

He couldn't deny her that. He himself pitied the pup and could see how weak and malnourished it looked. He wanted the pup to flourish and if his daughter was being selfless enough to take the responsibility of the pup, he wasn't going to say 'no' to her.