Peshawar Citadel

There were many times were Gieve had to carry a girl on his horse, yet this was the first time 4 things had happened.

1. He was in the crowned-Prince's company.
2. He was being chased by at least 500 Lusitanian soldiers.
3. He genuinely cared about this girl.
4. The same girl was bleeding to death in his arms.

It wasn't the first time Zofia had seemingly died in his care; but this time, it might actually happen. There were no illusions, no tricks.

Life and Death. Two sides of the same coin.

Thankfully Farangis had bandages to wrap around her, but they weren't going to hold her steady for very long.

Arslan panicked and whipped the reigns on his horse. "Have we come so near only to fall now?!"

He tried desperately not to look at his best friend. He hadn't been able to since she was hurt.

"The closer we are to our destination, the easier it is for them to lay in wait." Gieve said.

Daryun defended the group's rear, keeping the Lusitanians back as far as he could. "We just have to keep fighting them off a while longer!"

Daryun pushed his spear into a man stomach, knocking him off his horse where he fell off the cliff leading to Peshawar.

Farangis' breath hitched as she saw even more soldiers waiting for them ahead. "It's an ambush."

"They're ours now! We'll be well rewarded for this!" One of the men called out.

The same man charged forward with a cry, and the rest followed behind him. He didn't even reach the group before a hawk dived down and gauged his eyes out. The men following were shot down by arrows.

Arslan recognized the hawk immediately. "Azrael!"

The hawk flapped its wings upwards, and perched itself upon its master's arm. Lord Kishward welcomed it back.

Behind Lord Kishward, was Narsus and a hooded figure.

"See your prince, men? We ride for him! Yashasuiin!" He yelled the battle cry.

At least a thousand Parsian soldiers came to the group's rescue, each of them eager to show off in front of their Commander and Prince.

"Kisward's here!" Arslan exclaimed.

"Welcome, Prince!" He said, pulling out his dual-swords and going into battle himself. "Greetings from Peshawar!"

He slashed man after man behind Arslan's company, his two swords making it easier to get rid of them quickly.

"It was foolish of you to enter my domain, more so to threaten my prince!!"

Soon the remaining Lusitanians knew they were beat. "Fall!" They yelled. "Retreat!"

Kishward darted after them, only to be stopped by Narsus' voice. "No need to stop them. Letting them go will only enhance your reputation, they are sure to spread tales of your daringness."

Kishward was hesitant, but obliged. A smile broke out on his face. "Those are tales I'd like to hear."

By now, the rest of the Prince's company had caught up with them. Prince Arslan was glad to see they were okay. "Narsus!"

"I'm glad to find you're ahead of us and not behind." Daryun said.

"You're arrival was most timely, Kishaward." Arslan said.

Lord Kishward dismounted his horse. "Sir," he said. "I am happy to see you in my faraway corner of the world."

Kishward bowed to his prince. "Your highness, welcome to Peshawar citadel, stronghold of the East."