Trouble on the Road

A chilly breeze flew past Zofia, making her shiver. She considered the wind her ally. She would even go as far as to say the wind was her friend.

But tonight? The wind was her weapon.

Farangis blew into a small white whistle, yet no noise came from it. Zofia had thought, at first, that it was a dog whistle; it turned out to be the way she communicated with the Djinn.

The Djinn. Zofia didn't know how she felt about them. How did they feel about her? What if they didn't like the way she used the wind for magic?

She certainly didn't want to upset the spirits. But they already seemed in a foul mood. Farangis pursed her lips.

"Hear me Djinn." She spoke out, lifting her arms up to them. "Be still. Hadeed, Hadeed!"

She turned back to rejoin the group. They'd finally stopped after hours of traveling, but though it was starting to get dark, they couldn't make camp.

As Farangis made it back, Arslan was first to worry, as expected.

"Is something wrong?" He asked her.

"It's the Djinn, I'm afraid they're in a rather foul mood tonight. It seems there are blood-thirsty folk nearby."

It caused tension in the group. At least among the others. Gieve and Zofia seemed to be...absent-minded. The consequence of being an idiot.

They sat together on the top of a high tree branch, messing about. Gieve had carved F + G inside a heart in the wood, and Zofia watching in amusement as he tried to make the heart symmetrical.

"Our pursuers?" Daryun demanded, clearly wanting to know more about the enemy approaching. He was very protective over Arslan.

"They've caught up to us." Narsus concluded. "Not surprising, really. We took many detours to avoid ambush."

"This certainly isn't the most pleasant journey I've taken." Gieve said, jumping down from the branch and landing beside 'his muse'.

"The one constellation is that I travel with you, beautiful mistress of my heart." He flirted. Farangis walked by him.

"Ironic. For me, the one stroke of misfortune is that I travel with you." She deadpanned.

"Come now, mistress Farangis! Are you not a true servant of the divine Mithra? A priestess should never be false to her own heart."

Farangis snapped at him, giving him a piercing, cold gaze.

"Now is not the time for your games, musician."

———

Galloping on her horse, Zofia did not think the situation would escalate that quickly.

The enemy had found them, and was chasing after them with determination. They were right on their tail.

Arslan's company used the forest to their advantage, twisting and turning in the trees to lose them. They found themselves alone again, but not for long.

"Your highness. Please take the others and go ahead. I'll handle matters here." Daryun stated. It was clear that Arslan was against the idea.

"No." He said desperately. As Daryun lead his horse back into the fight, Arslan reached out to stop him. "Daryun!" He called out, only to be caught by Narsus' grip on his shoulder.

"Highness." Narsus said in a stern tone. "You need to trust Daryun in this. Let's go on as he says."

Arslan was reluctant, but he trusted Daryun with his life. "...very well."

Zofia managed to sway the winds, causing an arrow aimed at Arslan's head to make a sudden change in direction and fly right.

Then they became showered with arrows, with Narsus, Gieve, Farangis and Elam cutting the arrows that reached them, and Zofia blocking herself and Arslan.

"Into the forest, as fast as we're able!" Narsus ordered. "Protect the prince at all costs!"

The group were quick to follow.

The enemy follow them into the forest, yelling profanities and shooting at them. While they were riding, Narsus' horse had been shot in the leg, causing him to doble over, dragging Narsus down with him.

"Narsus!" Zofia yelled back, stopping momentarily. She seemed to be the only one to notice he fell back. Then the internal debate started.

Follow Arslan to protect his highness? Save Narsus from his dilema?

It was a lot of men to fight off. But it was Narsus.

But the prince would be left with Gieve and Elam. Sure, Gieve was sketchy individual, but Elam would be there to keep him in check right?

...

That was too many men to fight off, even for Narsus. She chose to fall back.

I'm sorry, Arslan, but I can't just leave him there.

...you abandoned me...the wind howled. It made Zofia halt, wondering what the hell had said that. She might've stayed in that position for a longer time, if Narsus wasn't in a predicament.

She rushed over. Abandoning him, like the wind had said.

Narsus was already fending off the Lusitanian soldiers, and when a sudden and harsh wind knocked the men off their horses, scaring the horses enough to trample over them, he knew he wasn't alone.

"And his Highness?" Narsus asked.

"Gieve and Elam have got him."

"Ah, I see. Glad you could join me then, Zofia." He smiled.

They both turned to see more soldiers closing in on them. One of the higher ranking soldiers -presumably the leader of the group- came forward, a smug look on his face that Zofia couldn't wait to wipe off.

"Any last words?" He sneered, his men behind them, pointing arrows, spears and swords at them.

Narsus and Zofia shared a look before he smirked, and Zofia had a cheeky grin, a look that -for once- suited someone her age.

"Shouldn't we be asking you that?"

A.N.
HOLY FRICKING MOLY I JUST SAW HOW MANY READS WE HAD..AM I STUPID???
I am. We are over 1K reads. Oh my.
Guys I love you all. Seriously I do. I love what I write (even if it isn't the best) and I love that you guys take the time to read my stuff. Omg I seriously can't say how much I appreciate you.
Happy Reading <3