The Road to Peshawar

In the early morning, like every other morning since joining Arslan's company, they were already riding to Peshawar at sunrise.

It was quiet, except for the horses, who were working hard to get them there. Narsus managed to find a wild horse who looked to be in good condition. Zofia found the horse to be quite good.

Arslan was riding up ahead of Zofia and Elam, lost in his own thoughts.

"Is he still thinking about last night?" Elam whispered to her.

"Clearly, he's not yet over it." Zofia replied.

Elam pushed forward, riding beside the prince and leaving her behind. Zofia poured in the back, not being able to put up too so she could protect their rear, plus not get kicked by the horses in front.

"Your highness! If we continue at this speed, the horses will tire quickly."

Arslan snapped out of his trance. He must really be out of it, Zofia thought.

Elam continued, as if the prince hadn't heard him. "We need them to carry us quite the way."

"Your right," Arslan said. He looked embarrassed, almost ashamed. He turned to face Elam and ask him a question.

"Elam, what is your path? What do you think the future has in store for you?"

Elam was confused, and looked back and forth between the prince and Zofia looking for a way to answer.

"Perhaps you wish to become an advisor, helping to steer the Kingdom's policies? Or a fearless commander, leading warriors into battle?"

"Or you could be a housewife? I mean we all saw you in that dress going into Ectbatana. We're you in a mission or looking for a husband?" Zofia sneered.

Elam shot her a glare, and Narsus and Daryun chuckled behind them.

"I don't know my future." Elam admitted. "That's something Lord Narsus will decide for me. Until he does, I'll just have to do my best serving him and learn as much as he'll teach me."

It was a simple answer, which Zofia and Arslan could agree with.

"A worthy goal. If I want to rule well, I should study too. I have a lot to learn."

"You're going to be a good king, Arslan. Stop doubting yourself."

Arslan turned around to smile back at her. Elam nodded.

"With Lord Narsus and Daryun guiding you, you're definitely off to a good start."

Arslan's features softened. "You're right. With all of you helping me, I can't go wrong. And I have you to thank as much as the others."

"Hey! Don't forget me." Zofia said.

"Of course not." He chuckled.

"And what is there to learn from you?" Elam huffed. "You're younger and a complete idiot. You can't properly hold a sword!"

"Excuse you?! Yes I can! I just prefer my arrows." She defended.

"Speaking of which, Zofia." Narsus asked. "Is there any chance you could teach magic to others?"

Zofia raised a brow. "Why do you ask?"

"Farangis has said it is possible to learn how to speak to the Djinn. Is it possible to teach magic?"

"I'm not sure, honestly...but it's dangerous. My magic takes away my energy. Who knows what it'll do if someone else tried it."

And though she hadn't thought of it before, Xofia wasn't sure she would like someone else to have magic. It was the only thing about her that kept her in this group.

And if they found someone better, would that mean she would be left behind?

"I really mean it. Thank you for your help, all of you. Including you and Zofia, Elam."

Zofia beamed. What was she thinking? Arslan would never do that to her. His heart was made of gold.

"My actions are only those of any other proper attendant. They are certainly nothing worthy of your notice."

"I disagree-"

But before he could continue, Elam rode off ahead of them. Zofia took his place beside Arslan.

"Hey...don't worry about him. He just doesn't know how to handle affection." Zofia guessed. Arslan looked bothered.

———

Gieve watched as the three of them interacted with each other. He just couldn't understand some things.

"Rather an odd prince, isn't he?" Gieve said aloud.

"How so?" Narsus asked, though he knew the answer.

"You're the Prince's vassal, Elam is your servant. He doesn't serve his highness directly. Why would he ever pay him any mind?"

Narsus smirked. "The prince doesn't behave like most royalty, I'll grant you."

Gieve hummed in response. "I've never known the royalty to care one wit for their vassals, much less their servants. It isn't in their nature as far as I can tell."