The Queen's Escape

Zofia could admit when she was wrong; Gieve was a bad person.

She thought he was really good. He was fun to talk to and was a funny guy to be around, even if he was a little too flirty.

But alas, all he cared about was money and his own safety.

At least he's not the Queen, she thought. She's abandoning the people she swore to protect.

If Gieve was a bad person, the Queen was way worse.

It was just after dinner when the escape-plan sprung into action; the Queen had eaten for the journey ahead and pretended to go back to her chambers alone.

Then Zofia stood outside the door waiting for Gieve to help the Queen escape through the window, down to the sewers where they met again.

It was really quiet down there. And awkward.

Gieve held the torch, so he went first, followed by the Queen, leaving Zofia to defend them from behind. She couldn't explain it, but it was like the wind was telling her, whispering that something was wrong.

She brushed it off as paranoia.

Her eyes were on the Queen, but her focus was concentrated above the ground. She could hear screaming, and all she wanted was for it to stop.

"Mind your step there. It's slippery." Gieve said, lending his hand to help the Queen. He guided both the Queen and Zofia through the darkness.

She told herself that after the Queen was done with, she would find Arslan. He would make this right. He just had too...

She prayed he was okay.

"You must be getting tired. Perhaps we should rest awhile?" Gieve spoke.

The Queen did not respond. Instead, she kept her head low, which to Zofia, seemed...strange. The Queen always felt high and mighty, so why was her head down?

Maybe she feels guilty., Zofia reasoned.

"I don't want to work you too hard. Just pretending to be the Queen must be a hard enough task without me and the knight."

"Gieve, what nonsense are you mumbling now?" Zofia said, but the 'Queen' looked frightened.

"How did you know I'm not her?"

Zofia's jaw dropped. That doesn't sound like the Queen...

"By the scent of you. Your flesh gives off a different aroma to the one the Queen has, even if you are wearing the same perfume." He explained.

"No way.." Zofia said, suddenly becoming angrier than she was before. "You're playing decoy, you filthy liar. You're covering for her Majesty so she could escape undetected!"

Gieve shrugged at her. "So I suppose you didn't know? Gosh, I had thought you were in on it."

"No, of course not."

"Well, I'm not sure what you expect of the royalty. It's typical of them. Not only do they expect us to serve them, but to sacrifice our lives for them. It works well for them."

The decoy scoffed. "I won't have you insulting the Queen like that!"

Gieve laughed in her face. "She's got you wrapped around her finger."

"Whatever the Queen or the Grand Vizier have been planning, my only concern is to fufill my duties."

"What are you saying? To even think about sacrificing yourself for such and unjust cause.." Zofia said.