Late Birthday Gift

The day began as normal at 221 Baker Street. Sherlock and John were looking for cases, I was out running, and Mrs. Hudson was cleaning. The usual day, the boring routine. I came back from my run, sweat dripping down the side of my head, panting a bit. I slipped my tennis shoes off and go to take a shower. As soon as I took my long sleeved shirt off, four knocks emerge from my door.

It's Sherlock.

In nothing but a sports bra, running trousers and grey socks, I open the door to find the tall man standing in his robe with his pajamas on underneath.

"Hello, Sher." I greet, offering him to come inside.

"Hello, Hazel." He continues to stare at me, especially my eyes.

"How can I help you?"

"Right, sorry." He clears his throat, suddenly looking uncomfortable. "I would like to take you out to dinner tonight. Your late birthday gift."

My eyebrows shoot up and I can feel myself smiling. "Really? Where are we going?" I ask excitedly.

This puts a smile on Sherlock's lips. As if he gained more confidence from my acceptance. "Somewhere formal. Somewhere different. A surprise, if you will."

"How formal should I dress?"

"A nice dress will work. I plan to wear a suit."

This makes me even more excited. "What time shall I be expecting you then?"

"19:30." He states with a cheeky grin.

"Then it's a date." I grin.

He ruffles his hair and then walks away without saying anything. I give a chuckle and then close the door. I immediately rush to the shower, realizing it was 14:42. I still had time to get ready but I have nothing to wear. After I shower, I immediately go to my phone and make a call.

"Hey, Molly? I have a date tonight, will you come shopping with me and help me get ready?"

~~~~~

We bought a lovely blue dress that had a plunging neckline held up by thin straps. It came to my knees, the dress fitting snug, extenuating all my curves. Molly was doing my hair, gossiping with me about her job.

"So, tell me where you're going?" She asks, tugging some hair up.

"I don't actually know, if I'm being honest. He said to dress nicely and he's wearing a suit." I answer, looking down at the robe covering my dress.

Molly gives out a hum, placing a Bobby pin somewhere in my hair. "I just can't believe he asked you out. Did John put him up to it?"

I went to shake my head but she held it still, shaking her head. She covered my eyes and sprayed hair spray over top. "I checked, he had no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if he was giving Sherlock the older brother talk."

We chuckled at the thought, knowing full well that John could kick Sherlock's arse. Molly fluffed my hair a bit, making sure each curl was in place.

"So, how do you feel about it?"

"Honestly, I'm nervous." I admit, fiddling with my freshly painted silver nails. "What if it goes horribly wrong? What if he thinks I'm ugly? What if this is all some practical joke? What if-"

"I'm going to stop you right there." Molly said firmly, placing her hands on my shoulders, making me look at her. "I stated a psychopathic murderer. You're going to be fine. Besides, I see the way he looks at you. He is infatuated with you. I've never seen him look at anyone before, except with a case but it's different with you."