Chapter 5 - Divinely Defensive

PRESENT LIVES POV

"Hello, Elldian. Are you free to talk right now?" I called him.

"I'm quite busy now. Can you text me? Is it urgent?" He responded.

"I'm just asking if I can come to your office now because Mr. Tan wasn't here, and I need to ask you personally what you mean about rack mounting. He forwarded your text to me just now."

"Haizz... Did he throw the work at you again? I told him to guide you on this matter. He shouldn't just let you decide everything on your own; you're still fresh on this; he has to be guiding you." He sounded irritated.

Exactly! Over the past few days, Mr. Tan has slowly let go of this project. Sometimes, he doesn't even come to the site to guide me, and I have to wait for days or rely solely on phone calls to ask for his help. Sometimes, I'm not familiar with certain aspects of the ELV system and need his guidance, but he often says he's busy with other projects and tells me to ask Alex, even though Alex is also new to a project of this scale. When the Engineer is not Engineering, the Drafter suddenly becomes the project's Engineer.

I awkwardly giggle because I don't know how to react.

"Once I finish meeting, you can come and find me." He said.

"All right, noted," I responded before ending the call.

Daniel sighed. "I think we need to talk to Mr. Paul about this. We really need to rely on our supervisors and engineers being here every day to help us out sometimes, at least once in two days or three. If they keep ditching us and leaving us to fend for ourselves like this, it's going to be tough. This is our first big project, and it's her first job experience. They shouldn't just leave us to figure everything out alone. It's not just us who suffer, but Elldian, too. He's been helpful by taking the heat and bullet from the main contractor for our mistakes."

Alex nodded, agreeing. "I did mention it to them. I'm tired of arguing about the same issue over and over again. All they were saying was, 'We, too, once had to work independently; no one was guiding us, and you guys have to work hard for it, too.'"

"I mean, yes, it's true they were once experiencing the same thing as us too, but this is a big-scale project... This is also Ace's first big project, which means ten years of Ace's bright future if we do our best in this project. And they shouldn't take small-scale projects as an example. We're working for a Japanese client, and the regulations, the rules, and everything are much different than we usually see in Malaysia's projects. Do you know the Subcon next to our office? The supervisors told me on-site last week that this is the first time they have had to install reinforced bars that function earthquake-proof. Even though Malaysia doesn't have earthquakes, but the client wants it to be based on the Japanese building design. That's the standard... We shouldn't take this project too easily like Mr. Tan..." Daniel said.

Alex turned to me and asked. "What is your opinion, Lara? I honestly don't know how to speak to them regarding this matter. If possible, I don't want to bring this thing up to Mr Paul."

"If that's the only way to stop them from ditching us, then we have no choice but to talk to Mr Paul," I said. Daniel then nodded, agreeing.

***

I'm on my way to go to Elldian's office. He texted me and asked, 'Don't you feel stressed later on if you sit here?'

Everyone was saying that they hated going to the main contractor's office, Hiyori's site office. They said the energy in that site office was too intense, with too much pressure and seriousness about work, and they felt like they were constantly being watched. That's why Elldian prefers to come to our site office. Here, he can not only avoid the pressure of the main office but also review and discuss our tasks with us."