Chapter 2 - Echoes of Destiny

PRESENT TIME'S POV

21st November 2021...

Today marks the first day of my work experience as an AutoCAD Drafter in Ace Security Technology Sdn. Bhd.

Even though I had experience stepping in and monitoring a construction project during my internship, the vibe was still different when I started working.

Not to mention, the field that I worked in during my internship was different from what I work in now. And both are far from what I had for my diploma.

I'm a fresh graduate with a Diploma in Civil Engineering from the last four months. I monitored environmental issues during my internship. This is my first working experience as an AutoCAD Drafter in an ELV field, which stands for Energy Low Voltage.

This company mainly installs security systems such as CCTV and automatic door sensor products.

How did I go from graduating in Civil Engineering to working in the Mechanical and Electrical Engineering field?

Well, I literally applied for more than twenty job vacancies on job-seeking websites, including the positions of AutoCAD Drafter, Site Supervisor, and Assistant Engineer, regardless of whether it is a company working in civil engineering or M&E engineering. Since Ace Security was the first and fastest company to offer, I'll try it as my first working experience on a construction site.

***

I was nervous as this was my first time working in a company. I mean... I do have some work experiences, but all of them were semester break part-time jobs in the F&B industry. But I'm not going to lie... I just arrived here a few minutes ago, but I already feel like going home.

I'm scared and nervous.

When I arrived here, I saw a lot of male workers wearing maroon Ace Security uniform t-shirts gathered at a place that I believed to be a storage area. They were standing, smoking, and chit-chatting while some of them gathered with a man standing in front, giving some instructions.

I think they are technicians... I thought while my eyes were wandering around.

And that should be the supervisor... I thought while looking at the man who instructed the technicians.

Some of them turned to look at me while whispering - "Hey! She's the new staff..."

Gosh... This is so awkward...

-

I shrugged it all off and walked towards the main entrance. A short-haired woman, looking like a Chinese woman around forty to forty-five years old, walked past, turned, and smiled at me. I turned to look at her and smiled back while slightly bowing my head as my greeting. She then pulled out a card from her wallet. She leaned and scanned it on one of the two devices attached to the wall right next to the glass door of the main entrance.

I waited for her in front of the glass door. She then approached me, and I moved backward a bit as I saw her pull out the same card. This time, she scanned it onto this one device that was attached to the wall next to the automatic glass door. The automatic glass door then slid open, and she invited me inside.

From the moment I walked in, my mind began acknowledging how everything in there looked so fancy and high-tech.

Woah~ I thought as I turned to look around. A lot of high-tech products were displayed there, but most of them were security systems. I know I sound like someone a bit naïve.

"Morning... You must be Ms Clara, right?" that woman greeted me and asked.

I nodded my head, turned to look at her, and responded with a smile, "Yes~."