Language Week, Secrets, power and influence

Ailly landed in the amphitheater, her mind swirling following the unsettling interaction with Matt at the tea stand. The ambient atmosphere seemed steeped in mystery, accentuated by the dim light emanating from the ceiling projectors. She felt a palpable confusion about the situation she found herself in, as if the very walls of the amphitheater were imbued with the echoes of her recent encounter. Unable to calm her thoughts, she became aware that her brain was buzzing, especially after that unsettling exchange with Matt. A persistent thought invaded her, suggesting that this time, Matt was serious, casting a mysterious shadow over the room.

Checking her phone, Ailly noticed that there were precisely 15 minutes left before the start of the conference on the evolution of ancient languages. This delay, like a temporal parenthesis, offered her a precious opportunity to clear her mind. She attempted to temporarily relegate thoughts about Matt to a remote corner of her consciousness, mentally preparing herself to delve into the fascinating world of linguistics.

Surveying the surroundings, she noted the palpable enthusiasm of the students already seated in the amphitheater. Their eyes sparkled with anticipation, foreshadowing an intellectually stimulating event. Numerous literature professors mingled in the crowd, drawn to the linguistic theme. Miss Woods, a distinguished figure, was engaged in a lively discussion with a woman on the stage, likely one of the speakers, a stranger to Ailly.

The zealous members of the Academy's Polyglot Association bustled about, preparing the stage, orchestrating a coordinated dance of setups. Comfortable chairs, arranged in a semicircle, soon welcomed the speakers. A central table was carefully set up, adorned with microphones ready to capture every linguistic nuance, and water bottles promising to quench the thirst of knowledge-hungry minds. Although the setup evoked more of a roundtable than a formal conference, Ailly decided to dive headfirst into this opportunity for knowledge sharing, regardless of its form.

The amphitheater quickly filled up, students rushing to claim coveted seats, creating a lively murmur. Among them, Ailly found herself almost at the back, a prized position. She took out her green notebook, ready to capture the bubbling ideas during the conference. Looking up at the stage, she observed the speakers taking their seats with a certain solemnity, creating an anticipatory atmosphere.

Her gaze shifted to the second entrance of the amphitheater, where students continued to arrive. At one point, she caught someone's gaze directed at her. An instinctive smile lit up her face upon seeing the person, Noah. She waved to him, indicating an empty seat next to her, in a completely natural way. This invitation was accepted with a knowing smile from Noah, although he was momentarily intercepted by someone on the way. Ailly smiled as she watched him from afar, pleased to see that she wouldn't be alone attending the conference, especially after Jennie's refusal, who found such events boring.

Ailly turned to the empty chair next to her, placing her bag as a reservation. Although she claimed to hate saving seats for others, she mentally justified this action by considering that the person was already there. The small voice in her head insinuated that she simply wanted to be close to Noah to admire his green eyes. She shook her head with conviction, dismissing this idea with an amused smile, asserting that it was completely untrue.

"Interesting..." a voice slipped, Ailly froze upon hearing this voice, damn... That was the only word running through her head at that moment.

"He can't be serious," she thought, trying not to turn her gaze towards the origin of the voice. How had she not noticed someone's presence? Perhaps too absorbed by Noah's smile, suggested the small voice in her head.

Ailly almost mechanically resumed her posture, staring straight ahead as if it could prevent the person behind her from ignoring her. She sighed softly, squinting her eyes, aware that it didn't work that way. It seemed he wasn't going to give up easily.