A Party, Heirs, and Assholes

The party was in full swing, the bass thumped in the alcohol-saturated air, and the young revelers were wild. For Ailly, finding a moment of peace in this constant tumult was impossible. "You asked for it, and now you've found it, Ailly," a cynical voice echoed in her mind, reminding her that she should have once again declined Jennie's invitation to this wild party. Above the noise, she caught the notes of Martin Garrix's 'Home,' a tune that irresistibly urged her to go home. At this point, that's exactly what she desperately wanted.

Ailly still questioned the circumstances that had led her to this place, in this uncomfortable situation. She wasn't fond of this type of gathering where alcohol flowed freely and deafening music ruled. She saw these events as vain distractions. Now, she was trying to find Jennie, her best friend, hoping to see her unharmed despite her penchant for excess. Jennie never missed an opportunity to party, especially to cross paths with Jun, always present at these festivities that Ailly preferred to avoid.

 For the third time that evening, she opened a door, hoping to find Jennie still intact. This mansion was a real maze; she wondered how anyone could live in such a place without getting lost in the multitude of doors that composed it. She had been to Harborview before; what she knew was that most of the city's wealthy resided there, and this mansion was a perfect example to reflect the neighborhood. 

She was always surprised that young people their age were allowed to host such a party; she wondered what the parents of these young people said to them. If she were in the parents' shoes, she would never accept such a thing in her house. She heard Jennie's voice calling her old-fashioned, but she didn't care because, yes, she would never accept such a thing in her house. She blew out one last time before opening a door, still hoping to see her best friend, even in any condition, because she didn't care at this point; she just wanted to go home, sleep in her uncomfortable bed, but go home, that's all, so a Jennie who would take her home would be welcome.

The scene that unfolded before her only added to her perplexity. Two figures were in the room, a young woman and a man, abruptly interrupting their antics at the door's opening. Ailly recognized the man's face, staring intensely at her, just as she stared back thoughtlessly. Damn, it was Jun, Ailly thought.

"Are you looking for something in particular?" the young woman snapped at Ailly in a sour and icy tone, who involuntarily turned to her. Jun remained silent, but his gaze spoke volumes.

"Oh, sorry," she muttered mechanically, almost immediately closing the door before stepping away, exhaling lightly. 'Jennie, he's an asshole,' Ailly thought in reference to what she had just seen: Jun and this girl in an unsavory situation, to say the least. She would have wished it were Jennie who had caught them, but it would be cruel of her to entertain such thoughts, knowing full well that it would likely hurt her best friend. But then again, Jennie knew Jun's habits at these parties, but she preferred to act as if she were unaware.

Walking for some time, Ailly felt disoriented. Seeing such a troubling scene, especially when the person involved was the object of her best friend's feelings, disturbed her mind. She sighed, wondering where Jennie could be now. She checked her phone before refraining from another sigh; there was no network in this mansion or what? It's absurd, so she couldn't contact Jennie. There was only one obvious solution: to go home, even without her best friend.

"Sorry," she said, bumping into someone in her almost frantic rush to get out of this party.

"Ailly? A familiar voice made her look up, and she found someone smiling warmly at her.

"Oh, Noah..." Ailly returned his smile almost naturally upon seeing him.

Noah Chase was the kind of guy whose smile alone lit up the room, and Ailly found him rather cute. His short hair was dyed blond, though not as vibrant as before, and he sometimes wore glasses, especially at the academy, giving him a serious look. That evening, he didn't have them on his nose; with or without his glasses, everything suited him. Plus, you could see, or rather appreciate, his green eyes better, quite expressive, which lit up when he smiled, a contagious smile. Noah was a handsome guy, that was an undeniable fact.