|43| The no way back

Standing under the hot cascading water I stare at my reflection in the mirror right across the shower trying my best to get myself together

Standing under the hot cascading water I stare at my reflection in the mirror right across the shower trying my best to get myself together. I clearly did not think this through. We shouldn't have slept together, there's no way to take it back anymore, no way out of this mess. But that's not the issue, the issue is that even if there was a way I don't think I would want out of this mess.

I like Gianna, I won't lie. And I don't regret a single thing but it is true, it shouldn't have happened. Does that make sense? I am her bodyguard, that's all I should be.

And when she asked me if I meant it... I knew exactly what she was referring to. I told her she was mine, I was out of my senses and I shouldn't have said that even if every part of me wishes she could be mine.

How am I even going to fix this? Technically we are already a month in and my contract will only last for three more months. If I make sure Gianna gets to the shooting sober and with a good reputation then I could quit. I will come true to her about why I took this job and hopefully, she will understand. She will forgive me. Maybe we could be friends... or more. Put this whole thing behind us.

Everything will be fine, we just have to make sure no one discovers something happened between us and try to keep our relationship professional from now on. If that's even possible.

"Miles?" Gianna knocks at the bathroom door. "You have been there for a while, are you okay?"

Of course she noticed something was wrong when the reality of what I had done dawned on me I couldn't contain my reaction. I wish I could tell her the truth, it would be so much easier but I can't. I wouldn't only be committing a crime but also ending my whole career before it even started. I have too much to lose and so does she.

"I'm fine, don't worry. I will be out in a second." I say hoping that will be enough to reassure her.

Changing the shower setting to freezing cold I look up and allow the water to fall directly into my face in hopes the sudden change of temperature will break me out of this overthinking trance I have trapped myself in. Nothing good will come out of this whole situation if I keep on thinking about everything that could go wrong.

___

When I step out of the bathroom, with a towel now wrapped around my waist, Gianna is still standing there, already dressed and with a makeup-free face. "I'm going to get dressed, we should head out soon or we are going to be late," I say before walking away.

"Okay... I'm ready, they will do my makeup at the shooting. Do we have time to order some breakfast?" She says, probably still a little confused about what's going on but trying to act like everything is normal.

"I don't think so but we will get something on the way if we can." Once in my room I let the towel drop to the floor and reach for my bag in search of a black shirt, some underwear, and dress pants.