Lydia nodded, taking a seat on the edge of the sofa. "Good morning, Aunt Josephine. I slept all right, but it was a long night." She paused, considering her next words. "I'm just glad Minnie May is doing better."

Aunt Josephine set down her book and adjusted her glasses. "Yes, I suppose she is," she replied, her tone tinged with a hint of skepticism. "Although I must say, your friend Anne seems to have taken quite a few liberties with her treatments."

Lydia blinked in surprise. "Anne did what she thought was best," she said, her voice growing firmer. "If it weren't for her, I don't know what might have happened to Minnie May."

Aunt Josephine pursed her lips and gave a slight nod. "I suppose I should be grateful for her quick thinking," she admitted, her words somewhat reluctant. "But I still think she should've left things to the professionals. We can't have people running around with onions and wet cloths, pretending they're doctors."

Lydia suppressed a small smile, sensing that Aunt Josephine wasn't entirely convinced by her argument. "Anne has a way of making things work," she said. "She knew what Minnie May needed, and she wasn't afraid to do whatever it took to help her."

Aunt Josephine sighed, closing her book and setting it aside. "Well, I suppose you're right," she conceded. "I just worry about these unconventional methods. But the important thing is that Minnie May is safe and breathing. I'll give Anne her due credit for that."

Lydia felt a surge of relief. Aunt Josephine could be stubborn, but even she had to acknowledge Anne's role in saving Minnie May. "Thank you, Aunt Josephine," she said softly. "I'm sure, Anne will be glad to know you appreciate her efforts."

Aunt Josephine sniffed, adjusting her shawl. "Yes, well, let's not make a habit of it," she replied with a hint of sternness. "The next time, we call for a proper doctor. Now, go on and check on your sisters. I'm sure they need you."

Lydia smiled and stood up, heading toward the door. As she left the living room, she knew that despite Aunt Josephine's gruff exterior, there was a genuine concern for her family. It was good to know they had each other, no matter how unconventional the solutions might be.

-+-

The early morning sun cast a warm glow through the sheer curtains of Minnie May's bedroom, where Lydia had spent a restless night. She sat quietly in a fancy chair beside the window, watching Diana and Minnie May sleep soundly after the night's ordeal. Her relief was palpable, but her mind was still churning with the events that had unfolded. It was a lot to process, and she couldn't help but replay each moment, grateful for the outcome but shaken by the danger they had faced.

Lost in thought, Lydia's gaze drifted to the window just in time to see a carriage rolling up the driveway. Her heart skipped a beat—her parents were back. They hadn't been informed about last night's emergency yet, and Lydia knew it was time to face their worry and questions. She rose from the chair, taking a deep, steadying breath before stepping out of the room.

As Lydia approached the front door, she could see her parents, Eliza and William, alighting from the carriage. Aunt Josephine and Margaret were already there, filling them in on the previous night's events. The urgency in Aunt Josephine's tone was unmistakable, and Lydia could see the worry etch deeper into her mother's features.

Eliza caught sight of Lydia approaching and immediately rushed over, enveloping her in a tight embrace. "Are you all right?" she asked urgently as she pulled back to look Lydia in the eyes. "Is Diana and Minnie May all right too?"

"Yes, mother," Lydia replied, managing a small smile despite the fatigue that weighed on her. "Thanks to Anne thinking quickly, Minnie May survived."

"Anne was here?" Eliza questioned, a mix of surprise and gratitude flashing across her face.