Chapter 20

"Courage does not always roar

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" - Mary Anne Radmacher

Chapter 20 - A Breath of Relief

-+-

In the heart of the forest, under a canopy that glimmered with the soft touch of moonlight, urgency propelled two figures through the underbrush. Lydia and Anne, hearts pounding with a shared purpose, made their way closer to the beacon of hope that was the house nestled within the woods. Without a moment's hesitation upon arrival, Lydia barged through the door, her breath catching at the scene before her.

Inside, the air was thick with tension and worry. Diana with a face etched in despair, cradled Minnie May in her arms. Her tears were a silent testament to the fear gripping her heart. Anne's gaze swiftly moved from Diana's tear-streaked face to the small, struggling form of Minnie May. There was no time for words—Anne sprang into action.

Lydia feeling a pang of helplessness, sat close to Diana, offering her presence as a silent pillar of support. The minutes stretched on, each second a heavy beat against the drum of urgency, until Anne returned, armed with a bowl of steaming hot water. The sight of Minnie May, coughing violently, tightened the knot of worry in everyone's chest.

"Lean her over," Anne's voice cut through the tension, calm yet firm. "Make sure she's right above the steam."

Diana and Lydia moved with haste, positioning Minnie May so that the rising steam could work its gentle magic. Anne's explanation hung in the air, a beacon of hope amidst the shadows of fear. "We have to loosen the phlegm that's choking her."

Lydia's eyes were fixed on Anne as she reached for a bottle of medicine, noting the near-empty state of their last resort. "We've used almost all the ipecac. Only one more dose," Anne remarked, a note of resolve in her voice. The decision to rely on steam and the crisp night air, holding off on the final dose of medicine, was met with silent nods from Diana and Lydia.

Setting the bottle aside, Anne's gaze met with Lydia's and then Diana's, a silent exchange of determination and trust. Diana's hands, trembling slightly, moved to feel Minnie May's forehead, the heat of her fever a stark contrast to the cool night air slipping through the windows.

"She's burning up," Diana's voice broke the heavy silence, her worry palpable.

Anne's response was immediate, a directive born of both knowledge and necessity. "Let's lift her to the window." Together, Lydia and Diana, guided by Anne's steady presence, carried Minnie May to the window, allowing the night air to caress her fevered brow.

The room was tense, punctuated only by the harsh, relentless coughs of little Minnie May. The night air brushed against her face as she hung limply from the window, supported by Lydia, Anne, and Diana, who were all desperate to ease her suffering. Their efforts, however, were abruptly challenged when Aunt Josephine stormed into the room.