Chapter 14 Fairies

The goblin, and Jane all waited to see what awaited them. They all felt it best not to disturb Marinette.  Jane gave the mouse plenty of cheese and the cow fresh hay. She ate her meals regularly too. She found the goblin a bit stubborn but had made him eat at least one meal daily since Marinette had gotten ill.

      A group of fairies arrived at the small encampment. They saw the worried looks on Jane and the goblin's faces. They decided that would never do. They must do something to help.

  One fairy sprinkled something over the sleeping Marinette. It was something to heal her. Another sprinkled something over Jane to calm her. A third fairy sprinkled something over the goblin to give him courage and strength.

   The last fairy sprinkled something under Marinette's bed. "It is to ensure no more bugs or other pests trouble this hut again." She explained. Then she went into the other huts and barn and sprinkled more of the same there.

    "I even made sure to protect the water area here and the field of lilies," She said.

        The fairies left before anyone could ask where they had come from and how they came to find them. It was typical of fairies to come and go as they pleased. 

  A few days later, Marinette woke up, the fever was gone and she was in a better mood. She had no idea about the fairies' visit. Jane did not tell her. The goblin did not either. He figured it was best not to.   He recalled he asked to be returned to his original form, but the fairies all agreed before they had left that he must find true love without intervention from them. 

         "You know I had the strangest dream," Marinette says.

     "Oh, what was it about?" Jane ask.

      "Yes, do tell us," The goblin adds.

   "Well, I dreamt that some fairies came and healed me. I also dreamt they did not have a way to cure you, dear goblin," Marinette says.

      "Hmm, well that must have been some dream then, sister," Jane says. She leaves the hut not saying another word.

      The goblin smiles. He is happy Marinette woke up and that she is better. "Here, take this," He responds.

      Marinette sits up and eats. Then she drinks some of the water he offers.

          "Have you eaten?" She asks.

       "Yes, Jane saw to it," He replies.

    "Ah, good because you must not forget yourself because of me," Marinette remarks.

 Marinette gets out of bed, and says, "Now turn around I wish to change my garments." The goblin does as she says. She does not see him peek as she fastens up her outfit. She would have been furious if she knew.

     The two go outside and enjoy the sun peeking up behind the clouds. Marinette holds his hand.  "I am sorry for my rudeness. I was not myself, and I assure you I did not mean it," Marinette says.

   "It is alright, I am glad you are better now," He replies.

     "Adrien, do you think I shall ever meet a fairy?" Marinette asks.

      "Marinette, I suppose maybe one day you might," He answers. He smiles at her and she smiles at him. He kisses her surprised she does not pull away. He isn't sure if she feels the same, but he loves her. He no longer cares if he is able to be himself again. He only knows he wishes to be with her.

       Marinette kisses him. She brushes a tear away. She holds him close. She thinks, Adrien if only there is a way to make you happy. She pulls away.

        "I  never kissed anyone and meant it before," She confesses.

        "Neither have I, darling," He whispers. Marinette blushes. Why does he have this effect on her?  Why should it make her glad? She shouldn't feel this way because he could never be with her. Not when she runs away from the palace because she hates the events where people pay her money for kisses.  She ran to another village and there she was kidnapped. 

       "I used to live in Luka's palace. I was a servant there. See, I had to lead the events for charity. I was the girl in charge of the kissing booths and I ran away. The next village I turned to for a haven. For a while I was safe, but then Luka's men kidnapped me and..."  She turned away. She felt tears fall. but did not care.

      "Love, it does not matter. All that matters now is that we have each other," He says. Adrien holds her close. He turns her to face him. He brushes away her tears. "Shh, Marinette, it is alright, I will never hate you." He whispers.

 The fairies are off the distance watching them. They smile. They hope that Marinette will soon admit she loves him. They can tell he loves her and are sure she loves him. If only she would quit being stubborn and say so. They go home.

    It is not their job to do anything to change the circumstances that made him a goblin or that brought Marinette to him.

The story continues in Chapter 15

Until then,

bye-bye,

little owlets!

Summer out!