Chapter 10: A New World

The goblin smiled as he watched the girl's conversation change to a whisper. He was glad the cow he rescued was asleep. At least this way, the animal would not give away their location. He heard the king's men approach. He breathed a sigh of relief once they were long gone.

      He heard a loud sound as if an alarm had been sounded. Was it the end of the world?

      He looked out and saw a man pass by who looked like he had seen something awful.

       He did not say a word to the girls because he did not want to worry them.

      A few hours later, it was rather dark again. He left and gathered wheat, corn, and a few handfuls of rice. He returned and ate some. He stored the rest inside a small sack.

       He waited til it was six o'clock the next day to awaken Jane and Marinette. He did not disturb them sooner because they had stayed up late. 

      "Ladies, it is time we moved on from here."

      "I sense danger around the corner."

         Jane laughed. Marinette nodded her head in agreement.

           The goblin, mouse, Marinette, Jane, and Daisy all set out on a journey together. This time the cow had a few blankets on her back. No one asked the goblin where he had found them.  Jane rode the cow, while the others followed alongside them.

           The five rested for a few moments to drink some water from a stream. Marinette picked some blueberries. She tucked them inside the small sack. They would do in a pinch if they ran low on the other rations. 

         The group journeyed on further. They came into an abandoned village. It looked as if someone had torched the place. The roofs were in disarray, the doors missing, and there was not a soul in sight. They used the few weapons they could find to make a few pieces of string to secure the sack more. They also took a shovel, a small trowel, and a pair of scissors. The goblin was not sure why the girls felt a need for those items but dared not argue.

         A few hours later, they stumbled onto a small area that looked nice for growing things, but no one lived there. They thought it strange as it looked so happy and alive. As the sunset, they noticed on the horizon another sun beside the first one.

        What sort of place was this?

      "Marinette, I believe we have found a whole new world just for us."

        "Yes, it is rather nice.  I shall find a place for us to sleep." Jane agreed.

        Marinette stared at the goblin's face. Why had not she noticed before? His nose was less wrinkled than when she first met him.  She thought the change to be nice but never minded his previous one.

        Marinette helped Jane build a few small huts.

         One for Jane, one for her, one for the mouse,  and the last one for the goblin.

            For the cow, she built a small stable.

                   Hmm, it was one exhausting journey.

                    Soon, after the houses and stable were done the others except for her and the goblin were asleep. Marinette sat and glanced at the moon and the stars. She sat in wonder. Wonder at it all.   It was as mentioned before a new world.

                    The goblin saw Marinette shiver. He took a blanket shook it off, then draped it around her. He could not let her freeze.  Marinette rested her head on his shoulder and soon dozed off.

                     He was shocked at the gesture. He leaned over and kissed her cheek. It was as he imagined sweet to the touch. He carried her to her house and set her inside.  He blushed, then turned and went to his place.  As he slept, he dreamed of the bluenette maiden princess who captured his heart.

               the story continues in Chapter 11  Lilies

             until then,

           bye-bye, little owlets!

        Summer out!