02

ꨄ︎ K Y R A ꨄ

ꨄ︎ K Y R A ꨄ

IT's nine in the morning and I'm on my couch, staring at my mom as she walks to and fro in the house, getting ready for work.
She's always so beautiful, especially in her blue floral print nurse uniform and small white rubber sneakers. Her small long cornrows are tied into a bun behind and she had worn a pair of white glasses.

I'm going to act like I didn't hear her because there's no way that I would stay with Brad, I googled it last night and being a hobo wasn't that bad I could pull it off for a week or two before I find my own place but Brad was a no, a great big no.

“Just stay with your brother and don't litter the streets of New York,” my subconscious mocks.

I roll my eyes. She's always so mean but I wasn't going to take her advice.

Staying with Brad meant being charged to prison;  he'll even monitor the air I breathe to check if there's any dirt in it, before I take it in, he's always just..ugh! Being a hobo and free isn't such a bad idea.

The door creaks open and Jey walks in, smiling like he had just won the lottery. It was a thing of his, he's a very beautiful optimist. Shoot! I had totally forgotten about our appointment.

“Hey Jeremy,” Mom smiles, moving a few dishes in the dishwasher.

“Morning Auntie,” Jey beams.

“What's up my little coochie potato?” he smiles at me, approaching my direction and squatting to my level.

“Ugh! ” I groan loudly, covering my face with both palms as I sit up straight.

“You know, it's not the end of the world.. I'm sure you'll get a new one soon,”

“You told him?!” I literally yell, whipping my head at Mom who sneakily hung her bag over her shoulder and grabbed her car keys.

“Someone had to fill him in honey and you wouldn't answer your phone and —”

“You needed someone to convince me to stay with Brad,” I finished it for her, obviously why would she inform Jey about it in less than a few hours of us finding out. Not like it was bad to tell him but the motive behind it was absolutely infuriating.

“Yes...and that but honey, it isn't such a bad idea,”

“Yes, it isn't. You're leaving in two days, Kyra.. finding a new apartment wouldn't be that easy,”

“Gary, our neighbour now runs from me, sorry...he leaps when he sees me because Brad dislocated his leg and why would Brad dislocate his leg? Oh it's because the poor guy smiled at me!”

“This one's on you Jey, I'm going to be late,” Mom chirps, hastily heading out and shutting the door.

The both of us concurrently let out a sigh and he rises from the floor before taking a seat next to me.