Prologue

In the eerie town of BrookSville, there exists a house that sends shivers down the spines of all who pass by. Hidden behind a thick curtain of trees, it remains concealed from the prying eyes of the public. The local newspaper is filled with tales of its haunted history, particularly the tragic fate of two sisters who met a grim end within its walls. And then there's the ominous lake that rests on the outskirts of town, where disappearances occur without explanation.

And in this town of horrors, I, a mere sixteen-year-old girl, find myself drawn to the very source of terror. Standing at the edge of the murky waters, I can't help but question my own existence and purpose in this world. I used to believe that we all have a reason to be here, but now I see how easily people can deceive themselves. No, not just deceive, but convince themselves of falsehoods far from the truth.
As I contemplate turning back and admitting defeat, my gut tells me to press on. To uncover the truth and put an end to this nightmare once and for all. I am alone, surrounded by the deafening silence and enveloped in darkness. Until I spot a pair of eyes watching me...pigeons, curious and perhaps questioning what a young girl is doing in a forest filled with unspeakable horrors.

But then, a voice breaks through the stillness, a voice that is strangely familiar yet I cannot place it. "What you seek is not here, Sylvie," he says in a deep, masculine tone. I flinch, my nerves on edge, but I refuse to show any weakness. I stand tall and confident, a reminder to myself that this person cannot harm me. I am not defenseless. "I received your message, you psycho. If you thought luring me out here alone was your grand plan, you are sorely mistaken." I speak with a calm, yet threatening undertone, my hand tightly gripping a knife and pepper spray hidden in my coat pocket. One of us will be leaving this place wounded, and it won't be me.

His laughter echoes through the forest, a chilling sound that makes my blood run cold. He thinks this is all a joke, a game, but I refuse to let him see my fear. It would only give him an advantage, and I will not allow that. I will not give him the satisfaction.

But I know one thing for sure, I will not let him win. Not tonight, not ever. I stand strong, my gaze locked with his, as he taunts me with his words.

"Why don't you take off that horrendous mask you wear? I do not speak to cowards." His eyes, black as the depths of hell, bore into me, searching for any sign of weakness. But he won't find anything. He's already taken everything he could from me. The police have given up, my friends were mere pawns, and my family is long gone. I've spent months tracking down the NightCrawler, determined to bring him to justice for all the damage he's caused. "Do you think I'm a fool? You do know that one of us will be leaving here with a heart still beating tonight." His words drip with cockiness, as if he's already won. He's so close to victory, he can practically taste it. But being a cold-blooded killer has made him arrogant, thinking he's at the top of the world.

"And you think that's going to be you?" I challenge, stalling for time. The Killer stands just a few feet away, and if he wanted to, he could easily close the distance and the real battle would begin.

But he's not here for a fight. He's here for entertainment, for the thrill of taking out his next victim, another sister in his twisted game.

"You see, this is the problem with you weak women. You think your intelligence gives you power. But let me tell you a secret: you'll end up just like your sister." He whispers, as if someone is listening in on our conversation. As if someone is out at 2am to spy on us.

"Why? Why did you do it?" I ask, the silence between us thick with tension. Shivers run down my spine, not from the cold night air, but from the overwhelming fear that consumes me.

I refuse to cower in front of him. I refuse to give him the satisfaction of seeing me tremble in fear. For even though he has stripped me of everything, he will not take away my resilience. The terror of facing the truth, of my world collapsing in my final moments before I am reunited with my sister, the fear that the truth will remain buried and I will be forgotten as time passes knocks me in the face

"She asked too many questions," he smirks, leaving behind a web of cryptic puzzles and mysteries. But time is a luxury I do not have.

Without hesitation, I pull out a can of pepper spray and douse him in its stinging contents. He staggers back, caught off guard, and for a moment, I think I may have the upper hand. But then I see his lifeless eyes staring back at me , a wicked grin etched on his face.

No...it can't be him.

He wrenches the knife I plunged in his stomach and in a swift motion, I am on the ground, the world fading to black.