009. Striking the Enemy without Leaving the Base

Começar do início

"Yes. The military should always operate under the assumption of the worst-case scenario."

Junefila glanced ahead at two objects visible about 2 kilometers away — the towering walls exceeding 20 meters in height, which marked the fortress city of Ejei, their objective for conquest, and the several buildings slightly away from it, which seemed to be the camp of the Qua-Toynian army set up near the walls. Among the flags of Qua-Toyne in the camp, there was a flag he had never seen before, a "white flag with a red sun depicted on it."

Ejei was a massive fortress constructed by the Principality of Qua-Toyne in preparation for the upcoming war with Louria. The entire city had been fortified, surrounded by walls towering 25 meters high, making it impregnable. Furthermore, even if the walls were breached, mechanisms were in place throughout to hinder invaders, inflicting significant casualties on any attackers. The city had a secure water source and stocked ample provisions even during peacetime, making it suitable for a siege. Currently stationed here were 30.000 troops from the Western Division (20.000 infantry, 7.000 archers, 3.000 cavalry) of the Qua-Toynian army, along with 50 elite wyverns. With the wyverns, they could also counter aerial attacks. It truly felt like an impenetrable fortress. No matter how large the enemy force, capturing this place seemed impossible.

...Well, if it were the Tawi-Tawi Unit, they'd be like those hot-tempered aircraft carrier girls who say "easy as pie," but that's something you're not supposed to mention, of course.

From atop the walls of Ejei, General Nou, commander of the Qua-Toynian Western Division, gritted his teeth as he observed the Lourian army deployed about 2 kilometers ahead.

'Damn it, they're resorting to dirty tactics...!'

The Lourian army had deployed just two days ago. By visual estimation, there were around 20.000 of them. Given their numbers, they were probably just a reconnaissance force. So far, there were no signs of them launching an attack. It seemed they were waiting for their main force to arrive. However, instead of doing nothing, they repeatedly conducted a demonstration (or perhaps provocation) by sending about 300 men to approach within the range where arrows couldn't reach, hurling insults and provocations before withdrawing, regardless of day or night. Due to their numbers, it was difficult to determine if this was the prelude to a full-scale invasion, and the constant psychological pressure left no respite for the soldiers. They were under immense stress and completely worn out. With this level of exhaustion, they wouldn't be able to give their all in the event of a real invasion. And the trouble didn't end there.

'Those Japanese troops were told not to leave their positions... Damn it, if I had known, I could have pitted the Japanese against the Lourians to grind them both down...'

The Qua-Toynian government and military had sent Japanese military forces as reinforcements, but so far, these Japanese troops have been of no help. When the Japanese commander first visited the headquarters of the Western Division to pay his respects, Nou had told him, "We will handle the Lourians, so you should stay in your positions and provide support from there." While it sounded like assistance, being 2 kilometers away meant that neither arrows nor magic could reach their target. In essence, they were useless.

Yes, Nou had said that, essentially meaning "We'll deal with the Lourians, so you guys just stay put and don't do anything." He said this knowing full well that the other side likely had the pride of being entrusted with the defense of this place.

The reason for saying such a thing was quite simple. Nou wasn't happy with the Japanese troops. These bastards had violated their airspace, flexed their military might, and only approached after demonstrating their strength. Furthermore, even though diplomatic relations had been established, the Japanese military was wandering around various places in Qua-Toyne. While it was permitted by the government, Nou didn't feel comfortable with another country's military roaming around their territory. Moreover, the number of soldiers the Japanese had sent, 8.000, was meager compared to the forces of the Qua-Toynian Western Division, and Nou doubted their commitment. That's why he said what he did. But so far, the Japanese commander had obediently adhered to Nou's request. They had only left about 20 personnel for observation on Ejei, along with some equipment for observation, and the Japanese forces had done nothing. That, too, irked Nou.