7- Birthday Woes Part 1

The weeks flew by in a daze, the air outside become crisper as fall settled over the highlands. It was almost the last day of September, which also happened to be my birthday. Last week we celebrated the twins birthday in Feldcroft with Anne and it was the most sobering thing I have witnessed. Anne seemed to be weaker every time we went, her eyes looking dark and sunken. Sebastian put on a brave face while I made them a cake in the kitchen, using my skills Ms. Crook taught me in the muggle word. It kept me busy, kept me occupied, so I didn't have to think about the tragedy unfolding in front of me.

I still didn't know how to control my magic, it was still stronger and nearly out of control. I was learning how to block out some of my emotions by keeping myself completely busy, which helped ease the pain. Sometimes. Turns out, Imelda doesn't take no for an answer and practically dragged me by the ear out to try outs. Honestly, in hindsight it was a good thing because Quidditch was the perfect distraction and it numbed me to everything else going on as I focused on slowly learning the game. Sebastian did not return as beater, however. He couldn't join without Anne.

Today happened to be a particularly grueling practice to get ready for our first game against Hufflepuff. Sweat was dripping from my eyes by the end and considering Imedla took it upon her self to train me and another chaser, Oliver, we had double the practice. Including cardio in which she had us physically run the length of the quidditch pitch until satisfied. When I cursed confringo in her direction, which she deflected despite the strength of it, she just laughed and finally dismissed us.

"Bitch," I chirped at her, wiping my sweat with the back of my hand.

"A winning one!" she retorted, strolling off for the changing rooms with Oliver grumbling behind her.

"Did I see you cast confringo at Imelda?" a deep and amused voice called from behind me.

I whirled around then, feeling my already flushed cheeks grow even more so. Sebastian was near the entrance staring at me with a particularly amused look, his dark hair swept to the side by the wind howling through.

My shoulder shrugged and I didn't move toward him, smelling the sweat on me. "She deserved it. She was positively malevolent today," I grumbled, eyeing him as he slowly walked to me. Prior to Imelda and Oliver leaving, the rest of the team had left us about an hour ago. So now that they were in the changing rooms, Sebastian and I were practically alone. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to check on you. Thought we could keep practicing your ancient magic, but you look spent." He gestured to me and I could only imagine the mess he was seeing. I shifted uncomfortably.

"Honestly? I am. I'm exhausted. We've practiced every night this week with the same results," I said, groaning. We had been. We've been going to the undercroft and Sebastian had conjured a few things for me to focus my ancient magic on and every time it would go wild and he would have to conjure up protective charms around us. He wants me to practice on a rat soon, see if I can help with its pain, but I can't even throw a barrel without doing more than I meant to. I was a force to be reckoned with the pure strength of my magic, but it was too wild. Too much of it.

"You've gotten better," he lied, lips twitching.

"Oh? Maybe I should practice on you next."

"Did I say better? I meant you're the same," he backtracked, full on smiling now and that grin did something to my chest, pulling my own smile out of me.

"That's what I thought," I teased, pulling out my braid and letting my pale, sweaty hair frame my face. I detested pulling my hair back so much, I didn't care how horrid I may look. Sebastian was eyeing me with a strange look during this simple task that looked...hungry? I blushed and started toward the entrance.