3- Talk

"He's not going to stop," Ominis muttered over breakfast that next morning. Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I grunted in response. Sebastian was noticeably absent from our house table this morning and we both a sinking feeling about where he might be and it involved him hunched over more books. It was like there was a dark cloud hanging over our side of the table, even Poppy didn't hang around us too long after she popped by to say hello.

"We both knew that. You did your best though, you did what Anne wanted," I reassured, taking the smallest bite of egg. "Hopefully he hides it for her."

"I did nothing." I had a feeling he meant more than just yesterday.  He sighed heavily, shifting on the bench before turning his head toward my direction. "I hadn't even checked on you. I left you because I was pissed and you were..." he trailed off, waving a hand in my direction. "All summer. I sat there and stewed and I had no idea if you were alright. I'm sorry."

"It's fine and I'm fine. We're fine," I mumbled, though honestly I wasn't fine. Their silence had been two knives into my heart and the reminder of it caused a wave of head splitting pain. We had slipped into a familiar routine today as if no time had passed, as if we were all the close friends we were last year when they left me on my death bed practically. I was so weak the day they stormed out it took me an hour to get myself out of The Undercroft. They were so wrapped up in themselves and their own pains and angers that I got brushed aside until I was needed. Sebastian asking to use my magic last night after ignoring me all summer, never once checking in? That was killing me. I groaned, gripping my skull as my hair cascaded around me. I felt eyes of other classmates curiously glancing my way but I couldn't move. It was consuming me.

"Jo!" I heard someone call. 

It's okay. Calm down. The pain is from your emotions. Calm them. I breathed in and out through my nose while my eyes leaked.

"Drink," a gruff voice came as a vial of purple liquid was pushed under my nose. Hands shaking and weak, I tried to grip it but when I lifted it out of the foreign hand, it nearly slipped from my grip. "Oh blast it," the voice grumbled. Suddenly, my head was forced backward and Sharp's face swam into my vision. He pushed the vial to my lips and as I parted them slowly he titled it back, letting the burning liquid run down my throat. 

Slowly the pain dulled enough for my vision to steady, for the light in the room not to cause my head to rip open. It took me a second to realize the entire Great Hall was focused on us, whispering from other tables behind us started to fill the air. Sharp cleared his throat and I focused on him. "My office. This time, come with an explanation." With that, he stalked off.

I didn't move. I couldn't just yet, my legs were still quite shaky. Suddenly a hand gripped my elbow, lifting me to my feet and I nearly dead-weighted against the body holding me up that smelled of leather and a hint of spice. The smell sent a wave of calm through me. 

"Come on, Josephine," Ominis grunted, trying to steady himself as I weighed against him. I did my best to steady myself as I let Ominis guide me, relying on him and his wand as the pain dulled out through me and the Great Hall disappeared behind us filled with whispers and rumors already swirling. 

We walked in silence and the farther we got, the more I could hold up my own weight. Still, Ominis had not released his grip on my elbow and I was strangely grateful for that.

"Talk." Sharped hissed the second Ominis opened the door. "Please excuse us, Gaunt."

"He knows everything, please let him stay" I sighed, releasing myself from his grip but he stayed close and silent by my side.

With a long exhale, Sharp nodded as he crossed his arms. "Professor Hecate and I have been talking and have our suspicions. But please, inform me of exactly what happened."