Chapter 2

In the next week, Tropicpalm found that Orangefoot was expecting Darkfur's kits and secretly had been for awhile. There was two days of over-the-top fussing before Yellowbelly helped conclude that they would come in two weeks still.

Berrykit was sunning himself beside me and Cloudykit as we shared tongues. 

Fogkit stared at us in awe, "I can't believe you're all going to be apprentices!"

Cloudykit purred, "You'll be an apprentice soon! Just you wait!"

Stonekit was washing himself calmly but his tail flicked irritably. I noticed, but didn't dare ask. He and Cream had been getting to know each other, and the whole of Mistyclan knew that they were probably going to be mentor and apprentice. 

Had Mistystar changed her mind at the last minute? 

Berrykit jumped up, his fur ruffling as he brushed his pelt excitedly with mine, "I wonder who'll be my mentor! Every warrior in Mistyclan would be great! Morningflower is kind and understanding! Fallenleaf is the deputy! Lilypad is the best hunter ever!"

Just then, I saw Mistystar leap up onto the Tall Tree, "Let all cats old enough to climb gather beneath me!"

Cloudykit and I rushed forward, tripping over our own paws in our eagerness. 

Beestripe wove around us, her throat rumbling, "You'll all be the best of the apprentices, you will!"

Even Mistystar couldn't keep the purr from her throat, "Today, Cloudykit, Honeykit, Stonekit and Berrykit will join Dustpaw and Amberpaw in the apprentices den! Cloudykit, your mentor will be Lilypad. She is calm and great at hunting and I hope she will pass on all she knows to you."

I watched as Cloudykit stepped forward to touch her nose to Lilypad's shoulder.

Mistystar continued, "Honeykit, your mentor will be Morningflower. She was my apprentice and I believe I taught her well. I hope that she will teach you well in return."

I darted forward, letting Morningflower lick my forehead as I touched my nose to her shoulder.

Mistystar meowed, "Stonekit, your mentor will be Cream. She has proved, with everything she does, that she is worthy now of an apprentice."

I stared at Stonekit as he and Cream were acquainted. He seemed excited, his eyes shining.

Mistystar nodded, "Finally, Berrykit, your mentor will be Fallenleaf. He has proved himself, over and over, as a true, brave and loyal member of Mistyclan." She continued, "From now on, your names will be Cloudypaw, Honeypaw, Stonepaw and Berrypaw!"

I heard Beestripe yowl, "Cloudypaw! Honeypaw! Stonepaw! Berrypaw!"

The rest of the clan joined in, joy resounding in their voices. 

Morningflower turned to me, practically bouncing, "I promise, Honeypaw, that I will teach you to be the finest warrior in Mistyclan!"

***

"You and I, we're both smaller than normal cats."

I startled. 

No one had ever put it to me more directly. Morningflower was also small, though of course, bigger than me. 

She blinked, "It's true. We both know it. And there's no point in hiding it, or being ashamed of it."

I meowed hesitantly, "But doesn't that put us at a disadvantage?"

Morningflower flicked her tail dismissively, "No. Smaller means lighter, easier to manoeuvre and harder to land attacks on. We can also be faster than normal, because of our weight." Her eyes sparkled, "I'd say that puts us at an advantage."