Chapter 5

Feeling numb, I munched on a the plump squirrel I'd caught just this morning. The clan was still recovering from Mistystar's loss. Things were frosty between the clan leader and her mate. Fallenleaf had managed to persuade Mistystar to stay put for longer than planned, so that the injured cats would be able to rest up. Now, as they huddled, whispering angrily to each-other, I pricked my ears.

"What do you mean? Are you saying that you want to give up your warrior duties?" Mistystar hissed, her eyes narrowed.

Fallenleaf flinched, "No! I can still hunt, and I will still fight for Mistyclan, when needed. But I want to look after our kits more. Besides, when we have more kits - "

Mistystar cut him off, surprised, "More kits? Who says we're going to have more kits?" 

Her tone softened, "Look, Fallenleaf, I love you but -"

Mistyclan's deputy snapped, "Why does there have to be a 'but'? Don't you love me enough to have more kits with me?"

Lilypad stood up from where she had sat, watching, her tail flicking nervously. Beestripe sighed, summoning Fogkit and Dapplekit to her so that they couldn't stare at their parents.

Mistystar stood up, backing away, her tone wary, "Fallenleaf, listen. I love you, I really do! But I also have a clan to look after, and so do you! When I die, you will have to take my place, no matter what. I trust you, that's why I chose you as my deputy."

Fallenleaf's voice turned pleading, standing up as well, "I will do anything for our kits! I will even stay in the nursery with them! I just want to spend time with them, for once."

More and more warriors looked up, concern lighting their gazes. Worries ignited like Twoleg-fire in my stomach and I swallowed nervously.

 I brushed away the bones of my squirrel, feeling Berrypaw press my flank warmly with his. A purr rose in my throat, but my thoughts still lingered impatiently.

Mistystar looked away, her gaze brushing over the watching cats with a sort of embarrassment, "I loved you because of how brave you were. So confident, loyal and bold! But, when I found out I was expecting, this is what I was afraid of. That I would lose the courageous warrior that I always knew, the one I respected."

Fallenleaf flattened his ears, stalking past his mate and into the warrior's den. I sighed, shaking my head as the watching cats awkwardly dispersed. 

Berrypaw meowed sadly, "What has Mistyclan come to?"

I nudged him sharply, "For Starclan's sake, shut up! You'll only make it worse."

Pulling away from him, it was too late to wonder if I had been too harsh.

Hi my loves!

This chapter was mainly to expand the relationship-related problems that are manifesting in Mistyclan. It was originally going to be more action-packed but I realised that I needed to devote a few chapters in showing what the cats feel about each other. 

Unless I drastically change my mind at the last minute, the next chapter will also be about the wavering relationships in Mistyclan. 

Happy reading and enjoy the emotional drama!!

- Quill 🪶