Chapter 29

Charles Wright Cabin, Outside Telluride, Colorado

Call it bad timing

But I call it destiny

It wouldn't have happened

If it wasn't meant to be

~ I Want Your World To Turn ~ Heart ~

Bright hazel eyes stared up at him, almost pleading, and Marlena's words still echoed in his mind. "John... kiss me..."

Unable to stop himself, he groaned, "Fuck, yes," while wrapping one arm around her waist, and weaving the other one tightly into her hair. Being careful not to jar her shoulder too much, his mouth consumed her, licking over her lips, and biting at the soft pillowy flesh. For days he'd wanted to kiss her like this. All the times she'd stroked his skin, or begged him in a morphine haze to make love to her, he'd held back, refusing to allow himself to cross that line. Pushing closer to her, he slowly turned her so that her spine was flush against the wall next to the window. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the brightness of the moon, and the lazy fall of thick snow. The cabin was ensconced in silence, as if a blanket was thrown over it, and only he and Marlena existed.

Marlena whimpered, arching against him. She didn't recall a lot of details over the last week, but what she did recall was the constant ache for him. She recalled the throbbing in her body as she begged for his touch, and his soft words telling her to rest or go to sleep. She recalled her frustration. Her free hand gripped his shoulder, digging into his muscle with soft cries of desire. Tearing her lips away from his, she gasped, "Make love to me... please... I need you so badly."

He stared down into her eyes. The truth was there. She wanted him, and there was no denying that he wanted her, but they had to consider Roman, and Isabella. "Doc," he whispered, resting his forehead on hers. "We have to think about this. We have to consider what happens when we go home."

"I don't want to consider anything," she whispered. Her fingers traced over the scruff of his face, reveling in the feel of the soft beard that had begun to grow. "I don't want to think about any of it... just you, and me... here."

John groaned, "Doc... baby..." Her words were pulling at him. It would be so easy to make love to her, to bury himself in her wet heat and cry out her name with passion. But what would come later? Would he be able to let her go? Would she want him to let her go? Marlena laced her fingers into his dark hair, and tipped her mouth to his with a soft gasp, and he was lost. Her breathy pants drove him further. Wrapping his arm around her hips, he lifted her body close to him, and walked her towards the bed, carefully laying her down. For a moment, he stared down at her. It always amazed him how drawn he was to her, no matter where they were, no matter what she was wearing. She stared up at him, her long legs hanging off the side of the bed. His old Salem PD sweatshirt draped off of her shoulder, and the hem rode up revealing the smooth skin of her thighs. Honey blonde hair curled around her face like a halo, and he almost groaned with the amount of love he felt.

"If we do this... if I make love to you... it might kill me to let you go." He stood above her, unable to move, feeling only the echo of the pain he might feel at having to watch her walk away with Roman again. He couldn't do it. He would rather suffer the pain of wanting her, than to have her, and give her up again.

Marlena could feel the pain she saw in his eyes. It was the same ache and longing that would overtake her soul, and drown her if she had to say goodbye again. She reached for him, whispering, "Then don't... don't ever let me go, and I–I won't let you go. I want to feel your skin against mine. I want to hear your whispered words... I want all of it, and I want you."