26. INFATUATION

Kunal's POV

Being bombarded with meetings wasn't what I expected as my welcome. But with me gone, Aayansh on his premarital honeymoon and Dad on his ' just a vacation ' retirement, everything's piled up.

I gave Ashish a weekend off, not really in the mood to torture him to death, and that's resulted in me being forced to work with someone far more incompetent.

I might be a bit harsh but Ashish is the only person who could keep up with me, so now without him everything's on my shoulder.

I haven't been questioned by mom yet, apparently she's still indulging in Aayansh's good news. That's good though, I really need to sort out my thoughts before telling her.

" Sir, the directors have all arrived. " I heard from the door and nodded before making my way to the meeting hall. It's going to be a long day.

By the time my day ended, it was already 7 pm. I don't make a habit of working late, my employees have life outside of work as well, so most days the office is emptied by 5.

I can already hear them cursing the cold boss who made them work overtime just as he returned. I can't do anything though, it's not that I asked them to stay late but it's like a habit now to leave after the boss leaves.

I reached home just in time for dinner, without wasting any time I freshened up and joined everyone at the table.

" Take a break Kunal. It's not work is running anywhere. " I heard grandpa say and before I could respond, Kartik scoffed. " Bhai has to run though. "

" Huh? " There it goes, my plan to go slow. Had I known he'd babble off, I would've shipped him to England rather than back home.

" What do you mean? " Mom questioned and my brother looked around as if only now realising not everyone is aware. I hope his survival instincts are faster than his brain lest he ends up dead someday.

" Nothing, it's just bhai needs to run back before bhabhi forgets about him. " He shrugged and I had to remind myself it's dinner, brothers fighting over dinner won't make good news.

Does he really have so little confidence in me? Am I really that forgettable? I doubt it. I still receive DMs from classmates I don't remember. Not the other way around.

" What bhabhi? Don't tell me your brother really found someone. " Mom fired up and I just watched the show like a spectator rather than being the protagonist.
" Ask him if you don't believe me. "

" What do you mean really? Did you know? " Dad questioned her and she frowned, " Kartik mentioned it before but I thought he was just pretending to get us off his back. "

Great, that's the thought she had? As if. If getting her off my back was so easy then I would've done it sooner.

I ignored their conversation until it steered towards me.
" Kunal. "
" Grandpa. "
" Is there really someone? "

I looked around me to see mom waiting with anticipation, dad squinting as if wondering if it's really a ploy and grandpa smiling.

" Yes. " I answered and I swear mom's eyes started twinkling.
" Why didn't you bring her back. " Grandpa asked and I took a bite before answering.

" There's still some things we haven't settled. "

He nodded and quickly shifted my burdens to someone else.
" Okay okay. You should leave the company to your father and go bring her soon. "

My mother acquiesced, " That's right. Samarth can work, can't you? "

For someone who got angry at her husband for prioritising work over her, she is damn too cooperative. As for the said husband, he's all for obeying his wife. " Of course I can. "