the cube

Sheriff Pokie pulled up to the cube about 15 minutes after he got the call. The lonely gas station, the only working one in the county was called the cube because it was shaped like one and so was named.

He got out his cruiser, pulled up his belt, and slowly made his way across the gravel parking lot toward the deputy who was conversing with a despondent woman whom the sheriff recognized. His gout was flared up this afternoon and each step hurt but you wouldn't know by looking at his face.

Pokie. The deputy said nodding. The sheriff nodded back and turned toward the tan wrinkly woman. Her mouth was twisted and twitched. Obvious signs of meth use. Scars and sores dotted her arms and legs from years of picking and tweezing at imaginary bugs.

Rhonda, can you tell me what happened in there? The sheriff asked.

It's bad Pokie it's bad I don't know I don't know. I'm scared. I'm scared Pokie. They'll hurt me. They hurt women bad real bad. She said shaking her head.

The Sheriff leaned forward and took the trembling woman's hand.

Deputy Bridges cleared out the cube already. The Sheriff said.

The deputy nodded silently in agreement.

They're gone now ok. The sheriff said reassuringly.

Ok ok ok

Now Rhonda can you tell me what happened?

I jus jus wanted some gas I mean some cigarettes you know and and them pumps wasn't working I saw that when I got here so I's goin in to get them cigarettes an see if they could turn the pumps on for the fella that drove me here an then I got up to the door an alls the lights off so I jus peeked in an them boys was dead they was dead an... Rhonda began sobbing. Mascara streaked down her cheeks.

It's ok Rhonda. It's okay. The sheriff said. Then the woman leaned in and hugged him like a small child hugging a parent after skinning a knee on pavement. She cried for a moment then backed away sniffling before gaining some composure.

Who's this fella that drove you here?

I don't know. She said quietly. He was jus passing through an picked me up when he seen me walking on the highway. He drove off when he seen the pumps was off. He jus left me here. She started sobbing again, tears ran down her cracked face.  The sheriff placed a hand on her shoulder.

Do you remember what kind of vehicle he drove?

A truck, she said, then crossed her arms and drew em tightly against her body.

Make and model?

I don't know.

The sheriff shot a glance at the deputy then asked her one more time if she knew the man. She said no. Which was a lie.