XXIX. Viginti Novem

CHLOE

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty over this whole fair thing," I say to Sam as we sit at one of the tables set up around the food stands.

"I've been waiting for you to say that," she says, her voice muffled by the multiple stuffed animals covering her face that she's holding.

All won by me, I will add.

"Let's head out then," I stand before heading towards the exit.

"A little help here?" she says, struggling to keep hold of all of the animals.

"I won them for you, the least you can do is carry them, don't you think?" I tease, grabbing a couple out of her hands anyway.

"I never asked you to do that, you know."

"What would be the point of us coming here, then?"

She rolls her eyes playfully as we walk to my car. We throw the animals in the back before getting in the front and buckling up.

"It's almost ten," I gesture to the clock. "You ready to head back home?"

"Actually..." she starts. "Not yet. Can we find something else to do?"

This shocks me. She wants to stay out longer? "What about your dad?"

"I already texted him I'll be back by midnight. Wouldn't wanna be home too early."

I consider this. "Let's go to mine, then. My parents are out for the weekend."

She agrees to this as I start the car and head towards my house.

It isn't a far drive from the fair, so we're there in no time.

I unlock my front door and we walk into the large, dark space. I push the button near the door to turn on the main lights. I tell her to set her stuff down anywhere as I head into the kitchen.

"You want a drink?" I ask her, looking through the fridge.

"Water is fine with me," she says.

"You sure? Just a water? We have beer and wine coolers."

"I don't drink."

I nod before taking out a bottle of water and a Smirnoff and closing the fridge.

"We can head to the back patio, lot of open space."

She nods and I lead the way through the hall and out the back door. It's a couple of acres of open land surrounding the patio and pool.

Great for stargazing or whatever.

I lead her to the chairs and we sit with our respective drinks.

It's quiet between us for a while, Sam looking pretty awkward sipping from her water. I then have an idea.

"Stay here, I'll be right back." I get up and head back into the house without waiting for her response. I run to my room and go into my drawer, grabbing the box I'm looking for. I head back down and sit, placing the box between us.

"What's that?" she asks, eyeing the box.

I open the box and her eyes widen at the green buds, rolling paper, grinder, and lighter packed inside.

"Holy shit, are you the local plug or something?"

"My only neighbors are like eighty-year-olds, so, no. It's just for me and anyone else who happens to be around."

"So you drink and smoke? I'm sure that doesn't bode well with cheering," she raises an eyebrow.

"In moderation. The smoking, at least."

"So, you figured since you're drinking, I need my own form of intoxication?" she smiles, knowingly.

"We all have our vices."

"And when exactly do you plan on taking me back home? I don't think time would be by our side."

"You can sleep here. You're already acquainted with the basement guest room."

"Is there a particular reason we're talking like 50-year-old English men in a period drama?"

"You started it."

"Did not."

"You totally did."