34- Communication via Attempted Decapitation

"You entered into an employment agreement with the Lord of the Dead?"

It was safe to say that Chiron wasn't all that pleased about Ember's new job opportunity. As soon as she, Wes, and Garrett had gotten across the border and into camp, they'd headed for the Big House. They knew that Chiron would want to know everything that happened, and Mr. D would sit there examining his nails or something, not even pretending to care that they'd come back in mostly decent shape.

Neither of them had flinched at the still-stitched wound on her chest, Wes's mutilated ear, or any of the horrible details between, the only thing that made Chiron stop her dead in the middle of the tale was Hades's request that she inform him of any wizards who were trying to scoot around death.

"She didn't have a choice, Chiron," Garrett defended her against the astounded centaur, "we had already angered him enough earlier, and it's not like she signed a contract or anything."

"The lack of a written contract says nothing about the binding state of such promises," Chiron explained, obviously more worried than anything.

"Really, though," Wes butted in, "she didn't have a choice."

The centaur looked over the three of them once more, then sighed, "Well, bottom line is that you're back safe, and you succeeded on your quest. I've checked and it is still Christmas break for all of your schools, so I'll give you the option of staying here or going back early."

Ember rocked from foot to foot, "I think I'll stay for a couple days."

Wes and Garrett quickly agreed to do the same.

The new scar on her chest was going to be noticeable. If she chugged some Nectar she might be able to take the stitches out before she went back to school, but she already knew that the wide necks of their uniforms would do little to hide the top part of the blemish. Addy knew about it, and Indigo had probably received Addy's letter by now, but everyone else... she wanted to postpone that for as long as possible.

Chiron smiled, "Well, there are a couple people who, I think, will be very glad to see you."

She frowned, "What do you mean?"

"Honestly the last thing we need are those stuck up little girls clogging the camp," Mr. D grumbled with an eye roll worthy of any teenager.

Ember frowned, "Uh, which girls?"

Chiron just jerked his chin, "They're waiting by the campfire," he looked at Wes, "I suggest you pay a visit to the infirmary for that ear, Wesley."

It was clear that the conversation had ended, so Ember just shrugged, picked up her backpack from where she'd tossed it, and walked out of the Big House. It was the same sensation that she'd had the year before when coming back from her quest. The sudden ending of so much danger, stress, and fear didn't feel real. It felt like the Camp Half Blood she was seeing in front of her was something she was dreaming.

The dream only dissipated when a sword launched for Ember's head.

She drew her own sword and blocked the offending weapon before her brain even had time to catch up. Instantly, her mind cooled into that fighting calm that she'd spent the last months perfecting.

But the offender made no more moves against her, and slowly, that calm fell away in time for Ember to realize who her attacker was.

"Briar?"

The redheaded hunter of Artemis just grinned and sheathed her sword before yanking Ember closer by her shoulders. Into a hug? Regardless of her surprise, Ember managed to return the embrace, still holding her sword in one hand.