Chapter 5

Poison.

That was the verdict from the doctor when he finally stepped out the door. Someone tried to kill the king. And just like that, the twins snapped back to life. They barked at the guards to look into every room, every nook, every crack for the killer. Whoever tried to poison their father was not going to leave the castle alive.

"Your highness!" A guard approached them and kneeled. "We found a vial of nightshade."

At the mention of the poison, Ian's eyes widened. "Of course, one of the symptoms is convulsion! It was in the book that went missing from the library!"

"Can you make a cure?"

"Yes, I need to tell the doctor. You and Catherine follow the guard." Victor hesitated before he nodded. Following the guard, dread twisted and turned Catherine's stomach into knots. The closer they got, the more guards they passed until, to her horror, they stumbled upon her mother's room.

"No," She whispered. "No, it can't be." Shoving past Victor, she raced inside. "Mom!" She screamed. "Mom!" Seeing the room ransacked, she turned to the nearest guard. "Where's my mother? Where is my mother right now?"

"She's being detained in the dougeon."

No. Her heart dropped. She swirled to Victor. "Victor, please she couldn't have done this."

A guard handed him a book. Her eyes widened. That couldn't be. Victor held up the missing book. "She had the book, Catherine."

"She was framed!" Catherine cried. "She was obviously framed! We came here to start an alliance, not a war!"

His eyes narrowed. "Were you in on this?" Catherine staggered back. Those warm eyes from the ride now looked at her with nothing but pure malice. "The whole drought story. The whole saving your kingdom nonsense. Were you just waiting for the perfect moment to strike?"

Catherine stared at Victor, unable to believe what he was even saying.

"You bite your tongue!" She snarled, pointing a finger at him. "My people are dying, and I will not have you throw this back in my face over some accusations!" Turning away from him, she started toward the nearest guard.

"Where is she?" She cried. "I demand to see my mother! Take me to her right now or else!" A hand grabbed her arm, causing her to turn. "Unhand me." Her eyes burned into Victor's, both of them filled with nothing but fury..

Realizing he could not be reasoned with, Catherine snatched her arm free and sprinted down the hallway. She barely got to the king's door before it opened. "Ian!" She screamed, causing his gaze to snap to her. "Ian!"

As she reached him, Catherine clung to him. Tears blurred her vision. "My mother, she's innocent! She was framed!" As she said the words, the tears broke free with a sob. "She was framed!"

"What? What is going on?" His gaze snapped behind her.

"Both the vial and the book were found in her mother's room." She felt Ian stiffened, but Catherine dared not let go. Everything was falling apart.

"Where were they found?"

"The vial was found in the drawer, and the book was found under the bed."

"Catherine," A hand grabbed her chin, forcing her to look up at him. "If your mother is innocent, then we will find evidence. If she is not then.." He trailed off. She didn't have to ask what that meant.

"She's innocent!" She replied. "She's innocent."

Meeting Ian's gaze, they softened before he nodded. "Alright."