Chapter 4

After another breakfast of bread and jams, Catherine found herself wandering the halls during the early morning light. As she turned the corner, giggling grabbed her attention. There, pressed against the wall, was a very flustered maid with a very flirtatious prince Victor.

"And may I say-" he murmured as his lips brushed against the maid's ear "-that even in that outfit, you are more beautiful than the rising sun and the glowing moon combined." Grabbing her hand, the maid all but melted when his lips pressed against hers in a soft kiss.

Catherine cleared her throat, causing both their gaze to snapped to her. While the maid had the decency to look horrified, prince Victory merely winked at her as if this was a humorous joke.

He turned back to the maid. "Ah, I'm afraid I must go beautiful." He cupped her hands. "I will never stop thinking about the delicious fruits you have brought me for breakfast." With one last kiss, he finally turned to her.

"Princess Catherine." He nodded. "What can I do for you, your highness?"

Catherine's gaze flickered between the maid to him and back. "Well, I was just wandering the hallways. I didn't mean to interrupt....this." She gestured to the maid and him before grabbing her dress. "I'll just be going now." She made her way past the couple.

As footsteps followed her, she didn't need to turn to see who it was. "Well, since you're up, maybe you would like for me to keep you company."

Catherine glanced over her shoulder. "Are you sure you wouldn't want the maid's company?"

Prince Victor grabbed his chest. "My princess, you wound me so. Can't you see that I am just one man who suffers at the tragedy of rejecting so many women?"

Catherine rolled her eyes. "Oh yes, the pain of taking women to your bed only for you to reject them in the morning as if they were trash."

As they turned the corner, Prince Victor stepped in front of her. "Don't." Catherine staggered back at the anger in his eyes. "Don't you dare think that low of me. Yes, I love to tease a few hearts now and then but I would never stoop that low as to take them into my bedding. I have more respect for them than that."

Catherine lifted her head up, refusing to back down from his glare. "And you think flirting is better? Toying with the heart of many knowing that nothing will come out of it? Besides, did your father not give me the choice to pick between you or your brother?"

Victor turned away from her. "So you're saying you made your choice to marry me?"

Catherine blinked. "No, I...have not."

"Then we have not promised each other commitment. After all, you may fall head over heels for my brother."

Catherine bit her lip. For a prince quick to flirt, he is surprisingly quick with his words too. As if sensing her thoughts, Victor's gaze flickered out the window. "Normally, I would be out for my morning ride right now." His gaze snapped to hers. "I don't suppose you know how to ride a horse."

"I do." Catherine folded her hands. "It was one of the activities my family would allow."

"Good," he nodded. "Then if you will allow me, I would like to show you all the wonders my kingdom has to offer."

Catherine hesitated before she gave a small curtsy. "Very well, I accept your invitation."

After heading back to her room to choose a riding outfit, Catherine entered the stalls where there were rows of horses standing, ready to be taken out. As she approached one of the mares, she reached a hand to stroke its nose.

"I would be careful if I were you." Catherine jumped. The groom she first saw approached with a saddle. "Sorry, your highness, didn't mean to scare you." He nodded to the mare. "This one is a little nippy and I thought I should warn you."