Chapter 8

After the disappearance of Heather, Mike, Josh, and Y/N, the Maryland State Police called off the search presuming the four young filmmakers perished in the woods. Soon after in 1996, nine-year old Peter Shannon disappears in the Black Hill Forest near Burkittsville, Maryland. Sheriff Lanning led the search party for the missing boy. Ellis Lynch joins the search party along with his K-9 companion Bullet. Ellis disappeared in the Black Hill Forest and was killed by an unseen attacker while Bullet survived the ordeal and was later found wandering near Shannon's house. Lanning's body was never recovered from the woods and remains unknown while Todd's body was found to be so rotten it was nearly beyond identification.

Twenty Years Later...

'The following footage was assembled from memory cards and DV tapes found near Burkittsville, Maryland in the Black Hill Forest on May 15, 2014.'

A video appears on YouTube, and it shows a frightened woman running through a derelict house where Heather was last seen. She runs upstairs screaming as she shuts the door and locks it. Suddenly a door bursts open as the woman screams and James stops the video.

James: Did you see her?

Lisa: What do you mean? I...

James: I missed it the first time, too. Hang on.

James rewinds the footage and in the mirror, it shows the woman.

Lisa: Okay. What is that?

James: Lisa, I think that might be my sister.

Lisa: Wait, wait, okay. Uh... How did you even find it? Did you have, like, a search alert set up?

James: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And usually, it's nothing. But the guy who uploaded this video said it was from a tape he found in the Black Hills Woods.

Lisa: But those woods have been searched, right? They never found the house. Mmm-hmm.

James: Yeah, but the Black Hills Forest is huge. So maybe they weren't looking in the right place, you know? That's why I want us to start where the tape was found. So, we can set up camp at night...

James' other friends, Peter and Ashley, enter the room.

Lisa: Hi.

James: Hey.

Peter: What are you guys doing?

James: We're doing Lisa's documentary class project, starring me.

Peter: Boring!

The camera cuts to James closing the garage turns on the light revealing equipment on the table.

Lisa: Okay, so try on that earpiece camera.

James: Wh... which is... Is it this one?

Lisa: Yes.

James picks up the earpiece camera.

Lisa: And then press the button on the side.

James does as he is told.

Lisa: Okay. And then it should be recording. The cool thing about these is they've got built-in GPS.

James puts on the earpiece camera.

James: Huh? How's that? You're getting more of these for Peter and Ashley, right?

Lisa: Yeah. We just have to make sure we remember to switch out the cards.

James: Okay.

It then cuts to Lisa sitting on the bed reading a script.

Lisa: Temp narration take one... Take two... Three. When James was four years old, his older sister disappeared while making a documentary near the town of Burkittsville, Maryland. Some of the footage shot by James' sister was later found. The final moments of it showed her going into a house, seemingly within the Black Hills Forest. That area was extensively searched by police and FBI, but they could find no evidence of an existing house in those woods. Investigators concluded that James' sister might have vanished elsewhere, despite her crew's equipment and footage being found nearby. For as long as I've been friends with James, he's wondered what happened to her. His continued search to find closure and answers to his sister's disappearance is the subject of this documentary.