Only You Can Mend My Heart o' Glass

A/N: Sorry not sorry x.

In recent days, Cinder had been waking up with a smile on her face. Nightmares of dead sisters and fake mothers with shotguns finally began to leave her alone. Now she was left with fantasies of suburban households with large playrooms and nurseries with comfy cradles.

Yet, the smile that warmed her face this morning was most likely a consequence of last night. She opened her eyes slowly, getting used to the minimal light the window covered by the blinds provided. Staring upwards, she could see the top of their bedpost, the white ceiling, and the modern fan. Kai was always hot and Cinder didn't mind the temperature, so the fan was usually on, but it stayed still this morning. They definitely were too caught up to remember temperature preferences.

She turned her head to face her husband who was still asleep. Her smile only softened as she traced the features of his face with her eyes. His face looked like a Renaissance painter's masterpiece in her eyes, one that she had memorized, analyzed, and wondered at countless times. She interpreted his every expression, when he'd make them, and what they would mean. She wiped his tears and even wiped her own with his neck. She kissed every ridge and touched every bump on his body. If he was an unknown land, she was an explorer who discovered and researched every territory, reporting both the good and the bad.

Yawning, she intuitively knew it was around five in the morning, just in time for the sunrise. Good, he needs his sleep. The bags under his eyes looked a little too deep to be healthy. Smirking to herself, she knew exactly what Kai would say if he found her awake in these hours. He'd have the same reason she had for him not waking up. Stretching as quietly as possible, she scouted the room for a shirt. Kai's discarded button-up was the closest thing she could grab. Luckily, it was one of her favorite items of his to wear.

Cinder rolled out of bed without pulling and blankets and quickly put on his shirt. She stood up, smiling in success, and gave Kai a celebratory kiss.

"Don't wake up." She whispered, but she knew he couldn't hear her. He didn't even stir.

Before she headed downstairs to watch the sunrise, she stopped by his wardrobe for a pair of boxers and sweats, and happily glided down the stairs.

The aesthetic of the interior design of their little condo was created via the genius of Iko's love for fashion, and Kai's perfectionist tendencies. Though Cinder couldn't offer much because of her horrible eye for fashion, she loved her home.

Following her routine for these types of mornings, she prepared hot water for Kai's tea and made a coffee for herself. The sun continued to be stubborn while the water heated, so she paid a visit to Kai.

He shifted his position from his side to lying on his stomach while hugging a pillow, back muscles on full display. Cinder told herself not to ogle much on his gorgeous back and limited herself to one (only one?!) kiss on his shoulder. Maybe one more on his smushed forehead, but that was it. He continued not to stir. Triumph!

Finally, the first rays of sunlight revealed themselves through the humble windows. Already, she could feel herself waking up as her body yearned for the warming light.

She raced out of their room and positioned herself on the ledge under one of the windows with a mechanic's manual and another cup of coffee.

The beauty of the sky was enough to hush crying toddlers and bring an old man to tears. Colors danced in the sky, clouds worshipped the sun, and landscapes were heightened to their full beauty. No, she'd never get tired of witnessing this phenomenon, it was worth the lack of sleep.

And before she knew it, her mechanic's manual was marked up and the sky turned baby blue.

Her stomach rumbled, signifying it was time for a bowl of cereal.