All There is to Do is Wait

Cinder's body was awake. Every nerve, wire, and vein thrummed with energy. She couldn't stop shaking, no matter how hard she tried. How could she after her most recent comm with Kai?

She let out a giggle, not something she did commonly. Her mind replayed Kai's words, smile, laughs, and jokes over and over again. Each time her grin grew wider until her cheeks permanently molded into a smile. She would analyze every crinkle of an eye, every blush, every dimple, every detail of his face. It was better than caffeine. Maybe she should play their video comms to wake herself up during meetings.

The Queen of Luna had only one thing on her mind while she rested in her private quarters after a long day of meetings and documents. Her boyfriend, who happened to be the Emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth. Who also happened to be the reason she was kicking her feet in her silky, regal bedsheets and getting warnings for the rush of hormones.

Her fingers itched to call him again, her eyes longed to see his face, her ears wanted to hear his voice. She wished she could smell and touch him but she would have to wait until the next Peace Ball.

Sighing, for apparently the twenty-seventh time, Cinder adjusted into a fetal position and tried to sleep. She failed, unsurprisingly. She then sat up and fidgeted with her hands. A queen needed a healthy sleep schedule and she was already terribly behind on hers.

Her eyes latched onto her port and the temptation to call him grew exponentially bigger. One search and her brain told her it was one in the morning in the Commonwealth. Perhaps, being the insomniac, anxious, overthinker that he is, he could still be awake. But Cinder didn't want to wake him up if he wasn't.

Before she could dictate otherwise, her fingers rushed to start a comm with him, as if her desires took hold of her body and her mind could only sit and watch helplessly at the invasion. She did nothing, though, to stop the attack. She waited through, one, two, three rings before he picked up.

The beloved Emperor, her lover, the reason she laughs maniacally in the middle of the night, smiled back at her with shining copper eyes. Her jumble of happy feelings exploded again and she couldn't stop another giggle from bursting through her lips. Stars above, twice in the same timespan. The things this boy, her boy, made her do.

And he truly was a boy. Kai's face lit up when he heard her laugh, like a child when he gets what he wants, "Miss me?" he teased. He loved poking fun at her. He's a boy. Only his face, pillow, and headboard of the bed was visible. The only light seemed to come from the port, like hers.

"Why are you still up? Don't you have important things to do tomorrow?" She pretended to be concerned (and truly she was for his lack of sleeping but she was selfishly grateful that he was up talking to her.)

"I could ask the same thing. Besides, I have to do important stuff every day." He shifted his phone so his neck and collarbone was exposed.

With a start she realized he wasn't wearing a shirt. Though she was curious as to why he lost his shirt from thirty minutes ago, she didn't want to bring awkwardness to the conversation. He might have been hot, or uncomfortable.

He coughed, "So, why'd you call again?"

She felt her emotions start to deflate. Perhaps he didn't want to see her as much as she wanted to see him.

"Why not?"

"It's getting pretty late there, is it not?"

"It's only twelve thirty." she retorted.

He chuckled, furrowing his brow, "Isn't that why we hung up?"

"Yes, but-"

"Go to bed, Cinder." His smirk began to fall bit as he stared at her through the screen. Though they were thousands of miles apart, she could still feel the intensity and wanting From his eyes. "I don't want you to go to bed, but you should for your own health." Her doubt dissapeared like clouds once saved away.