30 - Accepting the Truth

Five days had passed since we buried Beth.

Losing the prison, Hershel, Poe, Bob, and now Beth had taken a massive toll on me and the group. Some members more than others. Maggie and Sasha's grief was palpable. Maggie dealt with her's through crying. Sasha dealt with her's through violence. I understood both sides deeply. The rest of us grieved silently. That's how it worked in this group. If someone couldn't be strong, the others would make up for that until they were back on their feet.

We were on our way to Richmond, Virginia to Noah's settlement. The first cars we had found broke down fairly quickly so we hadn't made much progress.

Carl hadn't left my side since I got back. Every vehicle I rode in, he rode in too. If he could, he sat right next to me. I assumed that my going to Washington affected him more than he was letting on. A twinge of guilt sat in my chest at the thought of him feeling abandoned by me.

Carl and I read the comic books I had gotten him together. I made him sound out the words he didn't know and quizzed him on terms I had taught him at the prison. He did pretty well. He was such a smart kid. He would have done well in the world before this one if it hadn't been destroyed.

As a result of Carl remaining in my general vicinity, so did his father. Ever since the hospital, he began warming up to me again. His icy exterior was slowly melting away every day I was near him.

Rick stuck his arm out the window and signaled to the two other cars behind us to stop. It was getting late in the afternoon and we were running out of fuel, food, water, and just general supplies. Luckily, we had come up to a small town that seemed to be abandoned by people and walkers alike.

All of us got out of our respective vehicles and gathered in front of Rick.

"Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, Daryl, Abraham, Rosita, and Jo, we'll clear main street, see if there are any supplies. Then we'll find a place to sleep for the night," the man instructed. "Everyone else stays here. If anything goes wrong, fire your weapons, we'll hear you."

I nodded and grabbed a bag out of the trunk of the SUV. Michonne and Daryl grabbed a few gas canisters next to me.

"Be careful," Carl said to me as he readjusted Judith in his arms. He gave me a look of intense worry.

I cupped his cheek in my palm. "I'll be back, kid. Make sure to feed your sister soon. There should be a jar of peaches left."

"I know."

The eight of us walked into the town in silence. We stayed in a tight formation while we scanned the area for any danger. A walker stumbled out an alleyway as we got closer to the downtown area.

"You got it, Daryl?" Rick told more than asked.

Daryl bobbed his head before letting an arrow fly.  We slowed as he went to retrieve it.